Saturday, May 10, 2008

DLR to East London

I got on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) this afternoon with the little Oriental fella. These are short, light trains which travel without any driver. Except there usually is a guard on them, who ensures the doors open and close correctly. Though I expect if they really are short staffed the DLR trains would run without any human intervention. It took a mere 30 mins to reach our destination.

East London stations all seem to be within moments of each other, to the degree it seems nonsensical to have so many stops. The other thing is the weird and wonderful names they have, Mudchute and Pudding Mill Lane are a couple of stops which stick in my mind. Even though I've never got off at either. They just seem to be odd names to give places. Then again it is the East End of London, and presently London's mini Manhattan. An Odd mix. Especially when you consider Billingsgate Market. A renown fish market, open the earliest of hours, and bang right on the edge of this mini Manhattan. Fact is Billingsgate was there long before the high rises started to sprout like chicken pox on an infected child. Everyone knows it. Odd fish and money. The two in such close proximity. Perhaps the genetic material from one of the fish will rub off on the money. Then I could go fishing for money.

Knowing my luck my fishing licence would be out of date, and the only thing I'd catch would be Moby Dick. Where's Captain Ahab when you need him?

No comments: