Sunday, July 08, 2007

I saw the Tour De France

About 40 minutes ago I saw the Tour De France. It is the first time since 1994 it has been in this country (UK). And I only just about got there in time to see them. Just up the road from where I live. It wasn't quite as close as I originally thought so it meant a quick march until I was on the route. With a little bit of a jog. During my short legwork towards the cycling route, there was something which struck me. It was silence. Few people few cars. It was like a scene out of one of those disaster movies. Erie. Scarce traffic, and of the cars on the road they were being diverted around the Tour De France route. Within 2 minutes of arriving at the road side it all started. Something I have never seen before. Something I was excited about seeing and although exceedingly brief it was an amazing sight. Amazing.

Though not quite what I expected. The first wave was motorcycles, closely behind were cars. It seemed there were hundreds. As the motorcade passed lights were flashing and horns blowing. People lining the road leaned and stepping into the road to try and get a better view. Straining their necks, squinting their eyes, desperately trying to make out the first cyclists which had to behind this frenzied stampede. Leaning in was dangerous because of the speed of the traffic. Which was fast. Maybe about 45 mph or more where normally the speed limit is 30 mph. In an instance it was almost quite again, but there they were. A massive grouping of cyclists. What struck me was their speed as well. I was on an incline and the cyclists must of been doing 35 mph or more going up it. I had my camera ready and snapped away as many pictures as I could get but, they were so fast I was lucky if I got 3 or 4 photos of them. The speed.

It was remarkable to see the size of the bicycles and their riders. The wheels and the way they athletically pumped their peddling legs. Heads down. Always taking the shortest route as the road bent round suddenly the cyclists bunched into the bend. Pounding away up the hill. And then it was over. A few breaths and they were gone. They will be cycling for another 4 hours and it will finish in Canterbury.

OK memo to self, hit gym next week, and cycle my little leggies off like a lunatic. I'm now inspired. I wonder if I should get a bike and cycle to work. Then I'd have to get the yellow jersey, well maybe not yellow, perhaps a shade of dark blue, am not quite up to the yellow jersey standard. Hey Sparkling Eyes do you think I'll look good in yellow?

No comments: