Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Irish Coffee

It's said patience is a virtue, something quite necessary when trying to understand a teenager, understanding any minute facet of the universe and lastly in making an Irish Coffee.

I had this hankering like an itch on my back I haven't been able to scratch. I been reaching round, contorting my arm and hand in all sorts of positions but just have not been able to scratch it. This notion is making my own Irish Coffee. The weather is cold, Christmas is round the corner like a lynx cat about to pounce on it's prey and here I am standing in the snow, wind chill factor of minus 30 with a grocery bag full of ingredients to the perfect winter warmer. Besides of course a hot woman, for now it's an Irish Coffee. Except I hadn't bought real Irish Whiskey, but I thought well it's not really going to matter if it's really Irish or not. Oh and the cream was single, not the thicker double.

The attempt failed, but it didn't stop me from trying. I just could not get the cream to float on top. It was worse than the titanic. Immediately it touched the top it sank down like it had it's very own escalator to the bottom of the glass. But it tasted nice. Well nice ish. To the extent I don't have the real satisfaction of saying I have succeeded in making a true Irish Coffee. Just the second class version. So now I've done a little research and have a few tips to apply next time. Use whipped cream, or cream with a lot of fluffy texture to it, make sure the spoon is hot and of course there must be sugar in the coffee. Like Thomas Edision who believed every mistake he made brought him one step closer to success. So it will be with my Irish Coffee.

Even now I can see the coffee in my mind and what it should look like. Hot, sweet floading on top with cream, and a very nice taste. I wonder if it was the reason for the titanic sinking, the engineers just didn't factor in the Irish Coffee effect. Because all these attempts are going to have one guaranteed effect on me, an expansion of my girth. Memo to self, if this becomes an obsession I had better do some more clothes shopping.

No comments: