Monday, August 25, 2008

A little entreprener

The Talkatives came round yesterday. Such days I consign to the tiring. As Mrs Talkative literally does my head in. But they gave an account of their son, the smaller Not So Talkative one and now I'll call him Indelible head boy. The story behind this name is because he has a scare on his head. At a school sports day while running he fell over, went to hospital and now is permanently marked. But it's mostly hidden by his hair so it don't matter much. Not at his age anyway. And as for the word "indelible," it is a word he came across while reading some pages of a book and I asked him what it meant. He didn't know but after checking through the dictionary he does now. Of course, the dictionary checking was something he had to be persuaded to take part in doing. He's an excellent little reader. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand anything he reads, but it sounds good.

Indelible head boy had taken to starting his own business. All of twelve years in age and he had become an entrepreneur. Except his stock wasn't something he was able to purchase himself. In fact he was taking it from a home supply. Mr Not so Talkative the father and Mrs Talkative mum were suddenly aware their stocks were going low every so often. Their stocks of cigarettes. Their white sticks of candy cancer death. But Little indelible head boy didn't let this bother him to much. Until he got caught, and reprimanded. I felt sorry for him. But the story was enlightening so gave him some funds for being so enterprising. I was told on one occasion he had managed to sell a cigarette for £2 approximately $4 or 1.64 euros. Smart boy I thought. Not being able to purchase his own supply his business had folded. Maybe he should of cut his mum and dad in on his deals.

Exam results have come in and it is with sadness I hear my niece Dancing Girl has pretty poor results. In one exam she achieved a grade "U" so low it could not be classified. On a number of occasions I had spoken to her and offered my help. But she just did not understand how much work she would really have to put in. It hurt me to hear of her results. It's been 2 weeks and I have not been able to bring myself to talk to her about them. When I hear others at the Fish Factory saying how well their children are doing I get annoyed. I even said once a lot can be learnt from failure. I'm sure Dancing girl is going to learn a lot over the next few years from her failure, she probably will not fully understand this for some time to come.

On a lighter note, Rock Chick did very well in her exams. She admitted to not studying much. And I was aware she's a little lazy. But she has brains, when she learns she has to put in the time doing independent study then there will be no height she can not attain. The duvetof cozy laziness is so tempting. I know, I wear it too often. Yes, Rock Chick can do anything if she wants. This makes me happy she's a good girl and Sparkling Eyes has done a great job bringing her up. I enjoy their company always.

No comments: