Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Broken phones and a little about the Ukulele

For some reason Sparkling's phones are not working when she talks to me. In the last two days we have been cut off about four times in mid conversation and then she blames the phone for not working. Whether it is the  house phone or her mobile. A normal person would think she is trying to avoid me but I know this is not true. However, Rock Chick did try and wind me up by saying it was purposeful. Sparkling says she is a techno phobe, and just does not know how to work new things, especially phones. As the phone is on the blink anyway I have ordered her  a new one. It's another cordless phone and is German. The German's make good long lasting things and in this case it will be easy to use as well. So the reviews advised. Perfect for the techno phobe, even if the techno phobe says it's because they are too hot. Fortunately this phone has been tested at all sorts of temperatures, or so the advertising video had me believe. So regardless my darling I will get to talk to you.

My BLOGs have been on the decline lately because I'm spending a lot of time playing Bertha (Ukulele). Again it seems the singing bit is the most difficult thing to do. Most of the songs I pick from Youtube tutorials and they are easy and catchy ones. It's just a matter of keeping rhythm, changing chords and singing, other than that I got the hang of it, mostly. I heard on the radio this morning the Ukulele is in the Guinness book of records for being the easiest instrument to learn. Oh yes, forgot to say my strumming pattern needs a bit of work on as well. I do think this is true, it is easy enough to get a tune out of it, but whether it sounds any good, is in time and whether my own vocals are complimentary is another matter altogether quite different. I read an article about one young lad who decided to do Europe during his study break and took a Ukulele with him. He said although it was cheap it helped him make friends pretty quickly. People seemed to like him and accept him on ready terms because he was carrying his little instrument around with him. And although it was a cheapo it was well worth every penny and he seemed to have a fondness for what it did. Even cheap things have a place in life. Better to if they make you smile.  I like this idea, odd how such a simple small thing can be such an ice breaker. I'll have to put in a few more hours and get a couple of songs of by heart. Even if my own voice is out of key. Someone may just like them.

Talking about torture, I hope to see Sparkling again in the next week or two and can treat her to an extended evening of song. Maybe she wont see it as torture this time round and not need to drink so many glasses of wine. But a little alcohol does make my singing and playing sound better as well. Or so I think. I can't wait to see her and now it's a matter of organizing the dates. I'll also get to see Rock and see her big belly as little Baby Fro begins to impose herself on the world. The weeks and days are now on count down. I wonder if babies can hear Ukulele's before they are born? They must do.  Problem is Rock isn't much of a convert when it comes to Bertha, she threatened to wrap Bertha round my head. It must be the pregnancy thing, it just makes women a bit emotional. Anyway, fingers crossed I'll be up in Scotland soon. Yep, better get a bit more practice in, I'll need it.

No comments: