Sunday, May 04, 2014

TV addiction, what about a day of cold turkey

Too much of a good thing is bad, sometimes it might be what you want but not what you need. Too much of a good thing is an addiction, I'm an addict, a TV and internet addict. I can't get enough of it, I spend hours of my life watching TV series after TV series, it's usually Sci Fi based, but it doesn't have to be. It can be drama anything as long as there is amusement and fixation. I know it's not good but I can't help myself.  Episode after episode is watched and I could be doing something else with my time. Sometimes I will get captured by a book and then the book becomes my addiction. I can't put it down and just continuously read it at every opportunity, especially if it's good.  I joke to myself if it is a book then it is fine, a book includes some form of education.  At this moment though my TV habit is approaching out of control. I don't know what to do about it.  At the same time it is like it is not a recognised addiction. There is more to life than watching TV, being on a laptop, viewing video after video there is more to life than passively viewing.

So I plan to go cold turkey for a day starting from midnight tonight. The compulsion to switch on this computer will begin sometime in the middle of the day. However, if I take a nice long walk tomorrow then I shall not be in the house and have access to the box.  I don't know even if it will work, but I got to try. Perhaps even try again if it fails tomorrow.  A day without TV might be a day without air. But I've had so much air lately I got enough to last me a couple of months and not worry about it.  Lets see what happens.

The day will begin shortly.

No comments: