Saturday, February 14, 2015

Preparing for an interview

Sparkling Eyes knows me so well, she said:

"Don't be fannying about with shit you shouldn't be doing when you should be doing shit". 

This is from someone who knows my propensity to procrastinate. To put of what should be done in order to advance a situation by doing something else less important and perhaps more leisurely. For example watching movies or TV programmes online when I should be getting prepared for a possible job interview.  It has been nearly 5 years since I last had an interview so I should prepare. To be said if anyone is serious about a job there should be a degree of preparation, preparation to be taken with diligence and insight. Putting yourself in a situation where you are being judged by other people as to what your worth is, you have to pass their standards not your own. The difficulty is trying to think as though in someone else's shoes. At times I can barely get into the mind of Sparkling Eyes and I know her pretty well, for once in a while she will do or say something which will completely throw me off guard. It is a purposeful thing, she likes to get a red hot poker of dilemma and shove it hard in my direction, she's looking for a response, a response which would put me into trouble and then it gives her a chance to chastise me or to see how I skilfully dance around the issue, which I must admit to having a good ability to do.  The kind of question which would have a black and white answer and by going either way you hang yourself, I know how to play hopscotch with. Maybe this will help me in the interview arena, maybe not.  The thing is, interviewers are looking for key items to be said, items which mean something important to them, items which should also be elaborated on to show understanding. And if possible a full and complete answer to the question with just maybe an answer which includes something they have not thought about, something which is valid and they haven't heard from anyone else but also worthy of a bonus point or two.

For at the end of the day, as Bruce Forsythe said "points make prizes" this is so with interviews. Those people or persons sitting usually behind a desk will be looking to tally up points for a set of questions which will be asked of multiple interviewees.  If it is a private company I would guess it is not just answers to interview questions being asked but something just as important they will be asking themselves "do I like this person?" it is not marked on the tally sheet put it is a thing they may have there more so in small companies where each person is likely to come into contact with the other person.  Something memorable, something which makes you human rather than a candidate on a list of many is needing to come out.  The problem is there are many people in this world and all these people in this world will be in the same situation. It could be like speed dating, where one of the most important things in the world finding a partner is highly unlikely to happen.  Finding a partner or "a keeper" takes a long time and takes effort. It is sad for individuals who lead fast hectic lives who think a two minute discussion with a stranger could lead to a life long relationship. I know for one if I was on a speed dating night out, which isn't going to happen at all ever in my life, that I would very unlikely impress Sparkling Eyes. I would get the oh he was nice but nothing special. To find that special ingredient it takes a lot of time and effort. Sparkling says I make her laugh and I don't realise I am funny at the time. So she clearly sees something I can't put on a CV or discuss at an interview.

So the research begins. First look at the organization you want to be part of, do a lot of checking on the internet about them, what do they do?  What are their goals? Get into their mind's but as noted above, with a caveat of it being subjective.  Get inside knowledge where possible, and then start writing up as many details as possible to questions which may be asked. All the usual questions, noting the first questions may well be warmer uppers and no points are scored. I've had that before. Get over interview anxiety, this is something extroverts may do very well at because they can naturally come across as sociable, however it does not mean they know how to do a job. For those introverts this may be a traumatic thing to overcome. Put it another way, you have to psychoanalyse yourself to the point you understand life doesn't rely on this interview it will go on when you walk out the door and catch the bus home.  My worse interviews have been for those jobs where I have put pressure on myself and got stressed and anxious, I failed myself but also the interview panel failed to succeed in getting the best out of me as well. However, you could say from their point of view if I can't answer questions in an interview how will I perform in a real situation. It is a matter of understanding interviews are imperfect and there is a degree of luck. However there is a saying which comes to mind in respect of this phenomenon called luck. It is:

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation."

Being positive and get yourself prepared is the key to the whole process, just as Sparkling's wonderful little saying comes home to hit me in the face, because she knows I am a procrastinator.  Even now this very moment I should be getting on with research and question writing down and question answers, but instead I'm here doing this shit when I should be doing some other shit. Well the day is not over, things to do, places to visit, investigations to undergo, hopefully not too probing just enough to get the answers to some questions.  So the question is, what is the questioning going to be?

No comments: