Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sparkling's anaphylactic shock

I recevied a text message from Sparkling while I was in the pub. Catching up with an fish who used to manage me. The text was difficult to fully comprehend on account of the spelling and text lingo she used. However, it was quite clear in another sense, something very serious had happened. Sparkling had to call the emergency services because she had a severe reaction to a burger and began to show the symptons of anaphylactic shock. Hives, followed by a swelling of the tongue and inability to talk, she rang up for an ambulance and the operator asked her to stay on the line because if she collapsed then the operator would of known. The ambulance arrived, she was then pumped with adrenaline and taken to hospital. The docs have her the once over and then pumped more drugs into her. She's starting to feel a lot more chilled out and the symptons are subsiding. Except for the hives. They wanted to keep her in the hospital for observation, whilst Sparkling wanted to get home. Sparkling one out. I rushed home and then rang up Sparkling. I was aghast at what Sparkling had gone through. It's the first time she had ever taken such a reaction. Then I asked how come she didn't go next door to see her neighbour and I got distracted in the thought of poor Sparkling with a swollen tongue standing on her neighbour's door step waiting for the door to open. Then when it did making a funny noise because she could no longer talk properly.

I couldn't help it. A silent laugh erupted. I kept it as best I could under control but Sparkling being her ever so sensitive self said she would put the phone down on me. A short second in time past, then the line went dead. Oh dear, I'd hit a raw nerve so soon but could not help myself. I know if it happened to me Sparkling would of been exactly the same. But as L & B man says "get over it." So I'd have no choice but to get over it pretty quickly. I was in shock myself though. I have never heard of a burger doing such a thing. It was only the weekend when I'd had a couple of burgers myself.

I'm up to Scotland in a few days time to see Sparkling. Then I'll have to make amends, tell her I love her. Rub feet, be a servant and above all avoid any meat products which might be a little bit suspect.

No comments: