Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Magpie chases a squirrel

I saw an amazing sight this morning after leaving home. I have never seen it before and may never see it again in my life. But it was absolutely stunning. It involved a squirrel and a magpie. Not far from where I live there is a family of magpies. They have resided in a specific tree for years. Over these years I've seen them out and about and learnt a little bit about their behaviour. They are like other birds pretty territorial. But there is an added intelligence. They seem to go about in pairs or groups. Where one bird will sit up high on a lamp post and watch down as it's mates go hoping about on the ground. Then if there is danger, the one on the lampost will begin to squark a bit like a crow and warn the other.

Squirrels have ventured away from the woods and now there are a few who go in gardens. One time I even saw a squirrel climb up the side of a house as though it were spiderman. It was absolutely no effort at all. Just imagine how sharp those claws must be, and how strong they are as a climbing animal.

I walked up the road and there was a squirrel bounding along, jumping as if it were on hot coals from one place to another. Following closely behind was this magpie. The magpie was bullying the squirrel to move on, to go into a different area. When the little fat squirrel stopped after the odd bound, the magpie would get annoyed jump up and flap it's wings a little until the squirrel got a bit pissed off and carried on bouding away. Away from the territory of the magpie. I took out my phone and by the time I had put it into video mode the squirrel and magpie had dissappeared from sight. Maybe the squirrel turned round at some point and said to the magpie those invevitable words "blimey, your nuts mate."

No comments: