Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rattling Uke string, intermittent internet connection and exercise balls.

I'm now convinced this is a time where nothing quite works the way it should for me. It all began with the new ukulele, which was going to be given the name Pooka, but I then decided to call it Harvey. So Harvey is not working as well as he should. There is definitely a rattle and a buzz about the C string.  When plucking the C string it rattles, but as I pluck it more and move down towards the bridge the rattle becomes a pronounced buzz. The rattling noise is getting on my nerves. It's a new instrument and it should be perfect. It should of been tested in the shop before they sent it to me. Fortunately I've been swotting up on something referred to as the Distance Selling Regulations otherwise known as the Consumer Protection Regulations 2000 and the Sale of Goods Act 1979. It is always good to be aware of your rights when purchasing goods of any kind whether from the internet or from a shop. These rights are not something to be ignorant about neither should they be used to hit sellers around the head when the purchaser is in the wrong. I once worked in a shoe shop so was aware of this kind of thing. Such as when people tried to return goods they had worn and there was nothing wrong with them, but they had just changed their mind. Some do try it on. Knowing this, I don't want to put myself in this category, so while playing Harvey I've been listening very carefully to his C string. I do actually like him a lot, it's just the C string buzz which is the problem. He is a beautiful instrument, I could probably try and forget it is there but after a while the buzz could get worse, to the point it then becomes unplayable. Then I'll have a Uke with not much use.  It is a dilemma. However, I have now rang up the supplier (who will remain nameless) and they have set up a courier to come and pick up Harvey. I'll keep you posted on the results.

The other problem I'm having lately is connecting to the internet. This is both on my home computer and on my laptop. The laptop is consistently used whenever I am out and about. Especially at a pub I frequent for coffee and an hour or two of relaxation. Then to find now my home PC is also disconnecting and refusing to reconnect when it already shows as being connected is vexing. I'm not sure if this is something to do with loading a new flash player, but things are just not working right. It's like having an itch on my back and I just can't reach it. The itch goes away only to return again and then I'm rubbing my back up and down against walls, door frames or anything else. If I didn't know otherwise I'd say there was a gremlin in my vicinity, an invisible one who was playing with me at his own amusement. Just wait to I get my hands around his neck, he'll find out what it is to have an itch you can't scratch.

In the meantime, back at the ranch. Sparkling sent me a text today to say she was in both a happy and and excited mood. It was because the spare bedroom now had a new carpet and she'd taken delivery of a reclining chair bed thing. She is feeling happy because everything is now getting geared up for the arrival of Baby Fro. Not even Rock knows when Baby Fro is coming, although Dangerous things baby will be a couple of days early.  Rock, has got a bouncing exercise ball. I guess this is actually what used to be called a Swiss ball, but could even be a contemporary version of the Space Hopper. Only and old person knows what a Space Hopper is, the original ones anyway. So Rock now sits in front of the telly watching her favourite programs and bounces up and down on it. Every time I imagine this site I can't help but laugh. A pregnant woman bouncing up and down on a big ball. It seems to be having it's benefits and is easing back pain. Come to think of it, it does sound like quite a nice gentle exercise to undertake.  Personally the whole situation makes me feel happy, knowing both Sparkling and Rock are happy brings me happiness. Except for Harvey, he's an itch who's about to be sent away.

No comments: