Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Baby, a Uke and a Holiday

It's been a packed day. There is lots to talk about but, I'll just keep to the basics.  Rock is getting bigger and bigger, which is no real surprise in itself.  After all it really is a day by day count down until Baby Fro pops out to see the world. Rock is now to the point she just can't wait to be unpregnant, or rather give birth because there is no such word as "unpregnant."  I know this because the spell check tells me. It's still cold in Scotland and Sparkling Eyes has been indoors all day doing very little except watch movies and coming out in sympathy with Rock Chick.  Awwwe.  Funny how mother and daughter are so connected. It's about three weeks now. I said this to Sparkling, who already knows, but my entire thoughts on the matter make me emotional. I think of little Baby Fro in my arms and my eyes just well up. Funny how women are doing this to me. When I think about it, making men cry or rather those women in my life most important to me have this knack. Certainly Baby Fro is already doing it.  I'm not sure how to react and feel so happy I want to cry and shouldn't because men don't cry. Except for me, I'm doing it a lot.  It is going to be great when baby hits the scene. She will not be able to kick a football and I'll remember this from previous experience of nephews and nieces of years ago.  But she will be beautiful, I am very sure of this. Just as I have learnt, every girl in the world is a Princess and should be called Princess. But of course even a princesses can get into trouble and be a pain at times. Sparkling has tried out the folding bed in the spare room and it is comfortable enough to sleep on, an cot is on offer and this can also be put in the spare room for use.

This afternoon while at the Fish Factory my mobile phone went off. It was a call from the Ukulele shop about Harvey. I was in part dreading this call because of the thought I might be in the wrong, but I know what a buzz sounds like and Harvey definitely buzzes. Apparently though half of the shop staff were unable to find the buzz and the other half were able to find it. It's to do with how hard or light Harvey is strummed or plucked. It made me feel better knowing some people were in my camp and justified sending Harvey back. They said the frets would be looked at. I have seen what happens in such cases. Quite simply any overly high frets are filed down. The buzzing likely coming from strings which vibrate against the frets. As I was saying to Sparkling, a Ukulele isn't like a washing machine, which either works or doesn't work. Sparkling was unsympathetic to my cause, so in part I wonder why I discuss the wonders and beauty of Bertha and Harvey, she says I'm a bit touchy. I'm not.  They are Ukuleles and I'm fond of them. Of course it doesn't help how Sparkling throws in my face the fact she is about to go on a clinical trial in hospital to examine whether her blood pressure can be lowered. Yes, Sparkling just can't help the fact she stresses a lot.  I try telling her to calm down but it's like standing in front of traffic when the light has just gone green.  Going back to Harvey.  I'm not entirely sure whether I should be happy the shop is going to repair Harvey when they really should of offered a new Uke replacement. At the same time strumming technique is a personal thing and people play differently. At least I am not going to be hit by courier charges because they couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Yet on the other hand, it may be the same thing occurs at a later date. So I'm in a quandary. If they can repair it and it is then fine I have no worries versus it's a new instrument so should not need repairing. I just don't know, for the time being it is a matter of giving the distributor the benefit of the doubt.  I looked up reviews of the shop on the internet and they were encouraging. Again it is a matter of watch this space. To Uke or not to Uke that is the question.

Sparkling asked me when I am next going to be in Scotland? Of course I did not know and we had agreed it was best to wait for Baby Fro to be born. So I said I can't see myself being there for the birth but would be up as soon as I possibly could afterwards. Rock had also been enquiring. Apparently a conversation had taken place where Rock was mapping out for me the rest of my life. It is so touching to know she views me as such a significant role in her own life, it makes me happy to say the least.

We finished off with a brief discussion about holidays and possibly going to Poland again. To a place where there is a beach and a nice sea front. I have agreed with Sparkling, one of the things we both need this year is a holiday. Regardless of how crazy the Fish Factory becomes this and Baby Fro are major items.  I did try to discuss with Sparkling about the issue of taking a Uke on holiday, at which I was glad a phone line was between us because it may well of had Bertha over my head. I guess impulsive actions can help lower blood pressure, or cause headaches.

No comments: