Sunday, March 09, 2014

A hole in my sock

It seems as good as anything to mention, I have a hole in my sock. My feet are up and right now it is looking at me, when I turn my head I can see from the corner of my eye it has just blinked. Heck, how the hell did I get a hole in socks which are nearly brand new?  The worse thing is I really like these socks and now it is clear their shelf life is going to be pretty limited. It's the colours they have, yellow toe and heal and this kind of mixed purple, they are really very nice looking socks.  And in their short life time I've got attached to them. It is sentimental but us human beings do get attached to things which wear out, as in socks or shoes for instance.  In my mind there must be a design failure or poor construction, I have a set of socks like these and they are only 5 weeks old.  It shouldn't be necessary to purchase another set of socks after such a short period, they are used once and washed and I don't always wear socks from the same set. They are spaced out so maybe have only had half a dozen wears at most. What a disappointment.

I bought them because I liked them, they are unusual and I paid more for them. When you see something you like and it is a little more expensive than normal it doesn't matter, because you fall in love at first sight. The thing is except for the hole which blinks once in a while there is nothing wrong with them. I've also done something sad, and searched on the internet to see if I can find this style of socks again. The brand has many different patterns but this particular design isn't anywhere to be seen. It's like they have become even more precious. So why would I want to buy the same socks again when it is clear there is something wrong with them. It's still because I like them, I know it is inefficient to buy something which wears out so quickly, but I still like them. Therefore it all comes down to emotional attachment. The thing which makes bad investors, those who get attached to something and hope by chance it will increase in value while all the time it is sliding downwards.  It is one of the most difficult things to let go of a thing which you know is costing more than it is worth.  At this point timing becomes an asset, knowing exactly when to give up because the dip is just too far down to recover in the foreseeable future. It's gambling in a way.  Socks however, should not be gambling, there should be some kind of guarantee they are going to last certainly more than a few weeks I'd of hoped. I certainly can not see a sock manufacturer giving me back my money. It's just enough time to take my money and run. Literally speak, so to say. I hope they build better trainers than they sow socks.

However, it is only a small investment buying socks, it's not like buying a car or a house. But if I were to buy a car or a house then I'd have to have socks on in order to walk around that house. So for the sake of a pair of socks I can no longer walk around the house without getting cold feet. Cold feet in turn can lead to a chill and I've learnt one thing, cold feet mean it can sometimes be difficult to sleep because it takes hours to warm up my feet till the point I am comfortable enough to relax and know cramp isn't going to set in. A bad night's sleep means an awful day the next day at work. Struggling with the yawns, concentration and demands of the job.  All for the sake of socks. So they may only be things which go on feet, little things, depending on how big your feet are, but they are without doubt, important things.  So says the sock who has just winked at me again.


No comments: