Saturday, July 23, 2022

Fire in the garden and it rains

 This afternoon I have been using the chain saw on some tree stumps. The trees have been cut down, but the stumps remain. I has been an ongoing long labour. It can only be done when the weather is right. For the chain saw is powered by the mains electric and I'm getting old. Hell I'm lucky I can do what I can do when I'm pushing the wrong side of 50 and getting ever closer to the 60 mark. Picking up the chain saw and holding it for a few hours is a strain. The stumps have got smaller and Sparkling has said to me we should get someone in to finish the job and put up a fence. However, it's all to do with the spondoolies, if I can save a couple of quid here and there on things which I should be able to do then all so fair and good. It's bloody easy to spend money, but it's bloody hard to earn it.

The fire bin is full up, there's a lot of old garden fence in it and of course some of the conifer trees. They are all tinder dry. Sparkling set the fire ablaze and at first it smoked a lot. Shite, the though of the fire brigade being called out arose. I'd put some fronds from a palm tree in there and maybe they were not dry enough. Big bloody billows of smoke swirled around as an alternating breeze made the whole garden look like it was smoked up. Shite. Fortunately the sound of bells I heard were not coming to our house. 

Fire took a hold of the wood and flames shot up from the bin, they were taller than me so were probably 6 to 8 feet high. Then it began to rain, but the rain was weak and the fire strong. I was called in for dinner, a lovely stake an some bailed potatoes with copious amounts of butter. I ate and went outside. It was raining harder still. The wood however was so dry inside it wouldn't matter. So I piled on more bits of old rotting garden fence. The flames acted like they were a hungry beast and had just been fed. They didn't care about the rain. I got soaked but didn't care because of the heat being given off from the fire bin, it was lovely.

Sometimes things can be a contradiction and still work, even though in normal circumstances they might not. But given the right conditions they will.

No comments: