Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Concert at Barrowlands Glasgow, Twang

For an exceedingly long time in my life I had been to few concerts. This is my own fault. From the previous experience of buzzing ears and auditory damage. However, last night I changed this, as Sparkling Eyes invited me with her to a place in Glasgow. Called the Barrowlands, where a number of groups were playing. Rock Chick had decided to treat Sparkling and got the tickets. Top of the billing was the Twang and supporting bands were Look See Proof and Little Man Tate. IT WAS LOUD. Very LOUD. And to add just a bit more on the volume dial it was LOUDER still. Only now some 24 hours later has my hearing returned to normal and the buzzing ceased.

Sparkling Eyes had most of a bottle of wine before we got there, my duties were clear. Keep her glass full. And enjoy. Especially the phenomenon known as the Mosh Pit. An area just in front of the stage, where the fans go crazy. Beer, lager, wine is thrown in the air and drops on anyone unlucky enough to be in the way. I think it was my glasses. Or the fat-man-look. Or the uncool-older-guy look, which in my mind probably made me a target. Though I can not understand how anyone can throw away perfectly good alcohol away. It must be the loud music which obviously did something to their brains. It made them act irrationally. They jumped, waved their hands, shouted, ranted, sang, pushed and barged their way around and even in the odd case attempted to dance. The audience was hyped. Personally, this was a difficult time for me. I got pushed around so many times and irritated by so many of the fans, had I been an Alpha Male, I would of had at least half a dozen fist fights. Somehow though I got through this chaos. Sparkling, in the meantime got very much into the throws of the Mosh Pit.

I had went off to get a refill glass returned and she was hugging a girl I'd never seen before. I wondered whether she had just pulled a lesbian. Probably. Then at some point when the Twang did come on stage, Sparkling moved forward and found the hand of a large bloke. He was about a foot taller than me and a foot wider. They held hands, jumped up and down and she then had her arm round his waist. Well, I'm glad I got into the swing of it while she was getting both inebriated, and jiggy with it. The man disappeared at some point and I got Sparkling back. Fortunately I'd stuck to her other (free) side. But am sure he lowered his head at some point and spoke to Sparkling, whether she heard anything is another question. The concert or gig or whatever it is called came to an end. We walked back to central Glasgow and every 5 paces Sparkling told me she had been Moshed. There was a tone of surprise in her voice. Her once large hair style was dampened down by larger and clinging to her head. She repeated this phrase several times with a comic look on her face.

So I am now a hip with it 40 something. I'll spread the word next week while in the pub drinking Guinness. Going off on a tangent I did manage to try the new Red Guinness. Though I really do think the original is the best. It was nice for a change. Then it is always good to have a change. Am glad the tall big fat man didn't fancy me, a story I wouldn't want to tell.

No comments: