Monday, October 01, 2007

The Ice Stealer

It was lunch, I sat at my usual cafe, ordered a sparkling mineral water and food. The bottled water came with a glass and ample ice. I pored and watched bubbles excitedly defy gravity through the clear glacier as they frantically searched for the surface. Opening my book I began to read and enjoyed the time before my meal arrived chilling in the make believe land of a psychotic homicidal maniac, but actually quite readable. Flicking a page over once in a while, then I automatically reached with a hand towards the glass. Cool condensed water droplets had formed on the outside, I drank and the refreshing liquid went down easily. I drank some more. Looked into the glass and then realised the ice had gone.

It didn't makes sense. It could barely of been a few minutes and yet there was no ice in the glass. OK the glass was cold but not enough for all the chunks it originally held. So I considered was this an act of natural physics. Something to be dealt with in the explanations a scientist could give or was it something else. Something people just really haven't thought about. For what if in reality ice doesn't melt? What if, it is stolen?


Maybe there is some alien being, or maybe it is not alien but quite natural to mother earth. A being not yet noticed by the ordinary human inhabitants. One which can't be see, but only if a thought passes over the meanderings of a distracted mind, then and only then it is perceived. I breath air in, I know it's air, I know because it keeps me alive, my lungs expand, then after a suitable time I exhale. Even though I can't see this substance it's there. So to it is with the Ice Stealer.

No comments: