Sunday, April 18, 2010

Leg wrestler attack in Chinese eatery


It was lunch so I headed towards the eat-as-much-as-you-like-Chinese.  I go there because the food is already prepared, it takes no time to find a seat, then it’s a matter of sitting down and getting a plate full of grub.  Generally it’s not too busy.  Then someone recognised me from the fish factory.  It was a fishy who had come in with her small children and cousin.  She chatted away and introduced me to the little ones.  They were so cute.  A boy she carried because he was tired out and had enough, he could have been no more than one year old at most, and a little girl who was perhaps four or five.  The little girl however loved to talk.  She told me her name and then she would not stop chatting.  An expression came to mind “can talk the hind legs off a donkey” which I was told she often would do.  Then on leaving the Chinese I said my good-byes and the little girl ran after me.  I patted her on the head and said she should go back to her mummy.  Then horror of horror’s it looked like she was about to cling to my leg.  I’ve seen this before with some young children.  They become like some growth just stuck to your shin.  Wrapping their arms and legs around it.  I was a little disconcerted.  Fortunately for me the cousin came running after the little princess and managed to intercept her before she began leg wrestling.  In my state of confusion and bewilderment and fear, I found myself about to go out of the door without paying.  Fortunately the cashier got my attention while I made the excuse of being attacked by a leg hugger.  She smiled.

I have now had two weeks at the fish factory as a middle size fishy.  Taking one day off work this week I returned to 14 emails.  It then took me the next two days to catch up with myself.  I am just running around after my own tail, constantly trying to catch up and wishing I knew how to do the swimming a bit better.  In the meantime the fish even bigger than me, pulls me into the office to have copious chats.  About this and about that and about everything else.  The thing now, is I have made the move.  Further there is no going back.  If I decided I was not up to it then I am basically without a pond to swim in. 

Things could be worse though.  I could be in a plane flying over Europe only to find the engines get clogged up with ash from an erupting volcano in Iceland.  When Iceland got blamed for a financial collapse to a lot of European organizations we asked for our cash back, but she gave us ash instead.  Great.  Ms Iceland obviously has a hearing problem.  Now the news programs advise us to be cautous of breathing in volcanic ash because it could be bad for you lungs.  If it doesn’t rain it sure does poor.

No comments: