Monday, September 02, 2013

I love Momo

I can't help it but I have fallen in love with the Nepalise/Ghurka/Tibetian dumpling dish called "momo." My love of this beautiful dish began only in the last two to three weeks. A portable kitchen has been parked in my local market and ran by some Nepalise. I'd passed it a number of times and a lot of Nepalise people were using it. This has got to be a good sign for any restaurant, if the locals like the food it has then the food must be authentic. Funny how I've never seen Indians though eat at an Indian restaurant, only British people. I saw the menu and recognised the Chow Mein, which didn't really do anything to excite me at all. However, when I saw momo I was curious, I'd seen it before and it reminded me of Dim Sum, so it couldn't be a great deal different. For the very reasonable price of £3 I was able to purchase a take-away portion. This consist of ten momo, they will be either chicken, pork, beef or lamb depending on your choice. I've had the lamb and the chicken.  With them comes a small tub of an orange coloured chilli sauce. I noticed the cook put part lemon juice in this, perhaps thinking it is too hot a sauce for an English man to eat. When I then began to eat these delicious dumplings I was completely amazed by them. What struck me was the absolute freshness of the ingredients. I could taste onion, spring onion, ginger and some other mixed herbs in the dumpling. With the chill sauce they just go down very easily.  I love them, I absolutely love momo. Now I've got to the stage of having to eat them at least three or four times in a week. They finish of my home made sandwiches perfectly.

Now after spending about an hour watching Youtube videos I think I could make momo, they are not too difficult. Momos are indeed a version of Chinese Dim Sum and from my last holiday in Poland the same kind of recipe is probably used in making Perogi, which is cheese and potato filled dumplings. It seems a good way to finish these off is by making your own tomato chilli chutney sauce, which is also pretty easy to make going by the videos. If this works I can see this becoming a regular item in my personal cooking repertoire. Well it beats beans on toast. After some additional research on the Nepalise momo in Tibet these may be made with Yak or buffalo meat as well. Well I'm glad for the pork and beef recipe or even a shrimp one because I not seen many Yaks about here. I guess they're not too fond of momos then? Well you can't keep all the people happy all the time.

No comments: