Thursday, September 05, 2013

Returning to Scotland for a 50th

Today I've traveled from London to Scotland, it was a hard journey because in my ruck sack there cradled with jeans were two bottles of Champagne. They had been presents and over which were never drunk and I've brought them to Scotland to share with Sparkling Eyes. Now I did actually have a couple of bottles in Scotland and Sparkling was to bring them with her to London on her 40th birthday, we were to drink them in celebration. However, the trip down to London from Scotland was a little boring and she was sat next to a handsome young Spanish University student. He was the tacit type and Sparkling saw this as a challenge to get him to open up. Of course it also meant she opened up the Champs. When Sparkling got off the train, she'd had the young man's phone number (allegedly) in her phone and she also was in a happy frame of mind. I took it on the chin as this is something I could of predicted, it didn't matter and anyway Sparkling said she didn't like Champs so it was all OK. the phone number I believe was never answered.  Of course I would not do such a thing with these bottles and will enjoy them with Sparkles as I'm shortly to be 50 years old. Which it seems a lot of people like to remind me about, well at work they had.

It was arranged when I got off the train that L & B man would pick me up. He seemed to be in pretty happy mood as usual talking about his favourite subjects. I find I have to put an interpretation head on when he tells me about the discourse he's had. How he might disagree with someone, but he doesn't actually disagree at all, he just thinks it in his head. I had to ask him a number of times the question "did you actually say that?" at which he would cock his head to one side, give me the funny one eyed stare which he gives anyone who is being impertinent and he replies "no, I was thinking it." Now he may not get this, but thinking you are saying something is not the same as actually saying it. The two are completely different things altogether. Regardless his conversation makes you wish he had said what he was thinking because it would of been very interesting. He is probably hoping one day all these people he gets pissed off with will suddenly inherit the ability to mind read him. We had a pint in the pub and he actually seemed relaxed with his problems, suggesting we should stay the night and just get completely pissed.

Once at Sparkling's house I pulled out an old key to the back door and let myself in. She had lovingly prepared a portion of piri-piri chicken and baked potato portions. All I had to do was put them in the oven. Just as she had taken them out of the box. But they were very tasty indeed. She left a note telling me to get some wine, cat food and washing up liquid. Already on touch down my first duties were being given to me. Oliver (cat) came down to greet us and did nothing but seek attention by meowing and brushing himself against our legs. He's funny is Oliver, he has a way about bothering L & B man which in turn L & B pretends is a bother, but it's not really, no matter how much he swears at Olly it is affectionate swearing. It's his way of showing love, because all the bad thoughts he has he obviously keeps in his own head.  He even asked if he should kidnap Olly, no doubt to take him home and show his family that someone loves him even though it licks it's arse with the same tongue it eats food with.

In the next few days I'll be 50, half a century old and it will be time to re-evaluate who I am and what I am. Maybe it is a crisis birthday as I see before me a man with a beard, looking somewhat more rugged than usual. What matters though is I'm here with Sparkling and an extended family I love very much.

No comments: