Sunday, January 05, 2014

New year's resolution, just remember

It's the time of year when new year's resolutions are made. The trick is not to put these in stone but rather a malleable material which allows itself a bit of space.  It's easy to fall off the wagon, I've done it a lot of times especially in the case of chocolate and crisps.  One item which is always on the list is to get fit.  Or just to get healthier, this is an abstract term and can mean healthy in many different aspects, exercise is just one, eating healthy another could be finding mental and emotional space from those things which cause stress. Losing weight is another aspect of being healthier as well. The latest diet news seems to indicate a bit of self starvation for a few days is actually very good for the body.  Damn, this sounds pretty extreme, but the scientific results are pretty clear, not only is weight hit but blood pressure lowers as well. Looking over the last year to see what I have consistently kept up with, it's been playing the ukulele.  At first I played it every single day, but then there were days I could not play it and felt disappointed in myself when this happened. However, I got back on the wagon again and played as soon as I could.  So have now a whole year of ukulele playing under my belt.  It is most definitely improving and my singing is coming along as well, although apparently singing and playing an instrument is much more difficult than just playing the instrument by itself.  I ask myself what it has been which kept me going strong over the year, and it has been self motivation.  I wanted to play the ukulele at least a year before I had owned one, maybe the waiting helped and made me more determined to do it. So this could be the same element needed when making  a new year's resolution. Be completely committed to it, pursue it with a single mind and it will happen. Of course this is probably true of everything in life

There are lots of things I'd like to do, speak French, learn to code, be a comic, a writer, a plumber, a carpenter, a electrician, a rich man (like the song), a management consultant, clown, full head of hair heart throb etc. Then the year goes by as it always does in a steady and progressive way. I hit the pub after the Fish Factory to relax and before I've known it part of my life has gone. Another bad habit ingrained.  Less time spent doing the things I should be doing. To learn how to plumb means finding a place to study, doing a course, having a real plumber there who can guide me through one project after the other. It takes time and effort. Everything is about effort as well. Given there are actually very few talented people in the world, because talent to do anything can only be fulfilled if effort, by time and practice is also put into it. Things drift, things happen, it rains, snows, and vehicles skid on roads. It is not possible to work and live and do everything you would like to do, it is only possible to do select things and so efforts are probably best chosen with motivations. Something you want to do is something you're more likely to do as a new year's resolution and keep on doing the whole year.

Then all of a sudden, looking down at this paunch of a belly and thinking getting healthy as a new year's resolution might not be so bad at all, if it is the only thing I have to worry about. My hair can drop out, as it will continue to do so, the taps will leak, the floors creak, the lights forever flicker, my pockets will not be full and running off to the circus is not an option but I am in part a heart throb to at least one person, well I hope so, (Sparkling Eyes).  Though she does give me a not so loving look when I'm not doing what she expects and my mind reading ability is just not up to her standard. This is not to mention with age I'm losing my memory and this may be the thing which prevents any resolution from going the full course.  There I have it, this year's new year's resolution is to keep my marbles, hold onto them with both hands as tightly as possible and in this way I'll stop forgetting what I should be doing it and then know what I am not doing, unforgivable maybe.

Better throw the red nose and big shoes out, or just stick them under the desk for the time being.


No comments: