Saturday, April 19, 2014

Cynical and jaded, the differences and preferences

Is it better to be jaded or cynical, or is there no difference between the two.  The definition of "jaded" is more or less being bored of something you've experienced many times before. Which means it doesn't apply to a new experience. For example I'd of thought all American's would be tired of frys from a certain fast food chain, yet the same fast food chain continuously does good business.  So repeating the same experience when it comes to food doesn't mean something will be jaded. Not for American's unless they have a problem with short term memory but not a problem to obesity.  Whereas "cynical" means thinking people are only interested in themselves.  It was good searching for the two definitions for they are different things altogether, I thought they were the same but not. So eating frys is not a cynical thing, for the individual who eats the frys it is a self centred action which results in satisfaction. Unlike Mick Jagger who can't get no satisfaction, when he tries, which would make him jaded and not cynical.

There are people around me who make me cynical, their actions so obvious, they have patterns of behaviour which repeat and repeat therefore are jaded behaviours.  The results of the repetitions is cynicism.  Certainly on me it is.  I then find it difficult to endure their presence.  I should really just get over it.  Knowing how someone behaves is an advantage, for you always know what someone is going to do next, if they are so ingrained in their behaviour.  I expect there are those who know me and think the same.  I try to be calm as best I can, but I don't always get away with it. It depends on my mood, being cynical and jaded to behaviours helps me to keep calm. Yet there is always another reason as well and it is knowing some people like to see a reaction so I do my best not to react. Playing the cool poker player act.  Inside though I want to yell, shout and get into a fight. I don't. Sparkling has said she'd pay to see me get into a fight, because she thinks I'm a fud. In psychology what she terms as fud like behaviour is actually called the fundamental attribution error.  However, saying such a thing would make me seem even more fud like and possibly even nerdy.  Which is not cynical or jaded, yet it doesn't stop my own jaded and cynical views of the world creaping in continuously.  Doing the same things over and over again is making me jaded, witnessing them in others makes me cynical. Perhaps we are all both jaded in cynical in varying degrees, and there is a scale of measurement.

I don't often eat at fast food cafes, the term restaurant to these places is a misnomer, they are very much cafes and the word restaurant begins to lose it's authenticity and become jaded.  The customers who go to these places in turn will become cynical, their understanding of the word "restaurant" is false, they have been misled by the very establishments they visit and take it for granted. A restaurant does not have cooks, it has chefs, this is a little clue. Chefs usually take many years to hone their skills, they work hard to deliver a product which is the same every time. They are able to adapt to different products quickly and create master pieces from raw materials. Their limitations are the limits of their imagination. A cook in a fast food restaurant would not know what to do with raw materials, if they were not already pre frozen.  Their task is a matter of ensure food safety and hygiene, they are there to act like a production line, with speed and mass being all important. There's good reason to be jaded at fast food restaurants, and there's better reason not to visit them.

I am both cynical of the world and jaded by it but now I know these are two different terms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

huh….no comments? Too jaded and cynical I guess...