Saturday, August 23, 2014

Vertigo while at ground level

After spending part of my Saturday afternoon just doing shit, which means passing the time away to no particular purpose at all,  ventured onto newspaper site to catch up with the latest.  In true not-much-to-do fashion I meandered onto the videos. A shark was eaten by a very large fish and there is then a video from a free-runner at height.  He climbs a crane from the very bottom, step by step his feet are recorded as he goes from one part of the structure to another. He must of been wearing some kind of camera helmet because it is a first person perspective. Eventually he reaches the top. Now this has got to be an odd thing, but while I sat there at ground level watching this video I began to get vertigo, feeling dizzy and having a sense puzzlement because I wasn't holding on tight to anything and maybe I should be because after all this was pretty high up.  Another side of the brain kicked in, it tried to reassure the perceptual fooling which was going on.  Yes, my feet are on the ground, I am sat in a comfortable chair, I can feel the back of the chair as it warms my back. As the video progressed I switched from full screen to normal mini screen and then made sure the volume was completely turned off.  Not that it could be heard above the music playing in the pub. Come on, logic kick in, this is not real, it is a recording, I have not climbed up this crane and certainly not in the one and a half minute which has only passed. But it didn't matter what I thought, how much I tried to talk myself into being as logical as possible, I still felt dizzy.

Perhaps it is something to do with wearing glasses, because when you wear glasses you are more focused on what the immediately front view, than on the periphery.  Objects at the edge of view can be seen, but focus is definitely on those things which are in focus.  The free-runner now walked along the arm of the crane, as he looked down the tops of buildings and cars could be seen moving. They looked so small, they were far below.  Normally things don't look small unless they are actually small or a long way away.  He then did something utterly stupid in my book and had me reaching for an imaginary parachute, or white knuckle ride cage support.  Neither of which were there.  The video showed him hanging by his hands, looking down at his dangling body and feet. If I were completely fooled by this scene I would of been sick. I wasn't but it still didn't stop the dizzness going into overdrive. He now hung with one arm by his side, suspended by a single hand. Feck. This dude has got a suicide wish, and guess what? It would of all been caught on cam, well, providing the cam didn't disintegrate once he hit the road below.

The eye and the brain are amazing things, but it seems even they can be evaded by persons with no common sense. Then again I did hear common sense was in short supply nowadays.

No comments: