Saturday, September 20, 2014

The weight of love

This morning I woke up at 4:40 a.m. and felt completely awake, my brain was in full awake mode and even though physically I was still needing additional rest it was not going to happen. So the day has began and I will have to run on 5 hours sleep only. It could of been worse and might of been 4 hours sleep.

Listening to the radio (which decided to actually work this morning) I ate a slice of toast with tomato on top and heard an interesting article.  It reminded me also of an event witnessed in Prague a couple of months ago. We had walked through the old town of Prague, over the Charles Bridge which is a beautiful medieval thing, and were heading up towards the Castle (Kafka wrote about) then passed a small bridge. The metal railings of the bridge were covered in padlocks. It was an odd thing to see. There were two gay men who had the body language of two people in love, they took a padlock and attached it to the railings, then threw the key into the waters below. It was a significant gesture for the two and I must admit to finding it quite touching. Sparkling said we should of done this, she was right we should of but how was I to know there would be a lovers bridge in Prague? None of us did. The radio presenter then spoke of such a bridge in Paris.  Again a remarkable thing when I think about it. It is almost like a phenomenon a local padlock seller has thought up in order to get a few tourist sales, the word has spread and now they are probably doing it all over the world. It's a craze, or fad, a bit like skateboarding which has never gone away. I should of persisted with my own wheeled board as well. This bridge in Paris had partly collapsed, the authorities had said the weight of padlocks and been too much.  As a consequence the local council has now banned padlocks from being attached to it. There was no mention of an alternative lovers fad which they could do, they quite rightly didn't want to spend all their well earned tourist profits on repairing bridges which tourists were getting a kick out of. Shame on you Paris for it seems this is not the most romantic capital of the world it's just a rumour and probably one started by a flower seller in the middle of winter.

My own love I keep in my heart and quietly express it to Sparkling Eyes. Which reminds me I need to research about how to handle angry people and calm them down, as trying to get out of a moving car while the love of your life gives you a dressing down could end up in personal injury.

No comments: