Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Installing a bath

The last week or so I have been helping L & B Man install a new bath for Sparkling. In fact I spent so much time with him it seemed Sparkling was put on the cooler for a while. We did manage to meet up somewhere in the middle and any other spare time was spent in each other's company. Rock Chick was also around, except for the time she wasn't around and was spending with Dangerous Sports Boy. Unfortunately he has to hop off every now and again for work which is based some distance away. But he likes his job and each day off you can guarantee he'll be in Rock Chicks vicinity.

The danger with spending too much time with L & B man is losing my sloth like way. It's a lot different sitting at computer and typing as composed to installing a bath. For a start there is the frequent trips down to a very large DIY store. I was in there so many time I think they began to recognise me and I'm sure on one occasion they were about to make me a cup of tea. L & B man is a dab hand at doing DIY things, whereas I'm more of a ham fisted hand at doing them, mostly because I just normally don't do them. But the whole experience was a learning one. I learnt about flexi pipes, compression fittings, 22 mm pipes, 10 mm pipes, taps, washers, screws and of course baths. I even got to the point of taking short videos of baths and pictures on my phone. Just to get a real feel for them. In fact L & B man showed me how to measure up a basin in one store when he leaned on it, spoke softly and ran his fingers along the sides. This was to see whether it would fit on a vanity unit. However, it actually looked like something else. Luckily we didn't get spotted on camera so were not asked to leave. As for a broom I had to purchase, I'll not say at all what he did when testing out the bristles. Of all things it was a laugh, I got complained at because I think too much and just seem to sit looking at stuff. Consequently I was told not to think. As I and L & B man got closer he even asked if I wanted to leave Sparkling and move in with him. Personally I took this some kind of brain illness like when divers come up too quickly from a depth and go doo lally. I didn't take him seriously, Sparkling would of killed me. It was a good time though and with being around tools, and plumbing stuff it had the effect of making me feel more like a man should feel. Macho, needless to say, until for some reason Sparkling or Rock Chick were making fun of me.

Oh, memo to self, don't tell Rock Chick she ever looks like something the cat dragged in, even if she has been out till after 3 a.m. in the morning. Comments like this can lead to headaches.

So the bath is now in, it works and so has cured the leaks. L & B man still has a basin to install but unfortunately I wasn't available for a few more to days to help with it. Sparkling will have to make the old one do for now. It has been a very tiring few days, and I think I've added an inch or two to my waist line. Now if only I could come up with a way to stop eating too much. Perhaps have a washer installed, or maybe an olive.

No comments: