Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rant on aging

Age creeps up on me and I get to a point I'm feeling old and geriatric. My memory is going, I don't know where but it is definitely not what it used to be. I forget things and quite often am not bothered I forget them, but I should. It could be there are too many things to remember, then because there are so many I forget the little and the large things.

Being older doesn't mean wiser either. I've met loads of old people who are to put it in a plane word "stupid" and have felt they certainly do not deserve my respect. So when the adage of respecting the old pops up, so do my heckles. Because someone is old does not mean they should demand respect, they may have a viewpoint but virtue of age doesn't mean this viewpoint is more important than any other person's. So in a paradoxical fashion because I am old and grumpy does not mean my own views are any more important either.

Discussion in age is somewhat tedious for me. I like to chat about things I find important and sometimes find it beyond irritation when people chit chatting about the soaps on TV. The soaps become their life, they become a surrogate through which all else is lived. They are a step into the bowels of an intellectual sewer which stinks through all of society. They make no demands on their thoughts of individuals or furthering of their education. Why people become non thinking laboratory rat's to Soap TV is beyond me. Unfortunately this means a common ground I could have to communicate with other's has evaporated. I feed on ideas, controversy, politics, I enjoy independence of thought and the Goats of society. Get thee behind me oh Lambs, your fleece is as soft as your brains.

Justifiably I dislike the bigoted, who do not give others time to air the point of view. Those who have to talk over every word you say, as though they are better than yourself. What they know is better, and they are closed to discussion and debate. They are like children who want attention and have not grown up. All they want is to act like human loud speakers whose vibrations are those of disgruntled individuals who need to grow up and learn to listen.

Think I'll go to bed now. Sometimes a rant is so good to get of your chest, oh thank heaven's for freedom of thought.

No comments: