Friday, April 20, 2012

Don't smack those electrical things

My desktop computer is on the blink. Last night it hung and repeatedly I turned it off then on.  It tried to reboot but got stuck again.  Then it went to the black screen which gives you options to safe boot.  I tried and nothing happened.  I think it's getting hot or old or both.  Hot and old and reluctant to move.  I'm sure though it is all software related, or mostly software related.  So this evening I turn it on and re tried it.  Two boots and it works.  When I say boots I don't mean I gave it a kicking with a pair of steal toe caps.  If only I did have steal toe caps then I would of given it one.  So for the moment it is OK.  Temporarily OK and then it will be crunch time again and I will have to start all over to get it working.  It may need reformatting and windows re loaded.  Last time this happened I just loaded windows back on top again and hoped the thing would work.  It did.  That was about 4 months ago, so now it's becoming a hassle.  Maybe I shouldn't of nudged it by accident the other night, it was then it began playing up.  Worse than a two year old.  It's probably about 8 years old.  But it's done well and I've loved it.  When it's worked of course.

Another day has gone past and although I've sent a text to Sparkling she has not replied.  I think her phone is on the blink as well.  I spoke to her yesterday and she said she never received yesterday's message.  Maybe she needs to delete some of the old messages in her phone and then it will work.  There seems to be something up with electronic devices at the moment.  One after the other they are failing, particularly failing or just being pedantic little characters, seeing if they can test your patience.  The thing is no matter how frustrated you get it doesn't help letting the red devil out of the back and giving them a good thumping.  Circuit boards have an aversion to being knocked about.  It's not like the good old days when your parent would go up to the bulky black and white TV and with a tensed fist hit it on top.  There's a number of black and whites which were sent to electronic heaven.  If not the tip.  Yet others did actually respond to this treatment.  For a short while.  They probably knew what was in store for them if they continued to fail.  Cussing doesn't have any effect on them either.  Maybe it's an omen we should all go back to pen and paper.  Or is it chalk board.  Maybe we should all communicate more rather than watch TV.  Talk to each other than seek refuge in the dumb box, or dumb monitor.  Making us even dumber.  Sounds a little like a Jim Carey film.  No?  Well it's either us who have to change or it's the electronic devices.  I get to the point of giving up and then pick up a book.  Yep.  I'm then forced to read something and be active. 

Mind the main reason I wanted my PC to actually work was to write a blog.  I've done one each evening for the last few days and now it's like wondering how many days I can do it in a row before missing one out.  I'm on a roll.  Not to be confused with rolling a PC down a hill to see how fast it gets to the bottom.  This thing certainly wouldn't get far.  But it has served me well.  The one thing I can say is it has been loyal.  Then it is an inanimate object, eats electricity and is regularly attended by a human being.  So why the bloody ell is it playing up now?  I give you everything and now you act like this.  Calm down.  It's inanimate.  It can't feel, because if it did it would soon feel my boot up it's arse.  Lucky thing.

No comments: