Monday, April 16, 2012

Thoughts on a laptop

I've got my first ever laptop, it arrived today.  I wish I had got home earlier to see it.  Opening up a box is exciting, but I'm not too sure about it.  For although the box opening was a minor thrill, the event isn't as wonderful as I might of hoped.  I'm not sure if it is the product or I just see the whole thing as more of an everyday tool and nothing to write home about.  It's like having a movie on TV, but the movie requires your full attention because it's deep but you just don't have a deep head on, you're in the frame of mind for a no brainier.  It's not satisfying at this moment, even though the movie could be the best ever.  It just doesn't fit your present frame of mind and expectations.  Not only this, the laptop is more like a table top than a lap top.  My laptop man bag I bought a year ago can only accommodate the thing at a stretch.

Maybe I didn't consider fully why I got the thing in the first place?  The reason for getting it was to write and as a study aid, it's not for entertainment although the first thing I have done is load several gig of music on it.  I've also put Open Office but not loaded the program.  So at the moment I'm trying to figure out what I've done, why I've done it and if my mind will change at some other time.  Perhaps I am going through a change, or have gone through a change and no longer value material things as important. It is really a tool, this is the primary reason I have it.  If I were at work I'd treat it with the same curiosity, where tools are used to get things done, not for their appearance, beauty or aesthetics.

I'm sure this thing has a purpose and I will get used to it,  but not at this moment.  Unless I've got the wrong laptop and should of got something smaller.  Thing is it's all in the keyboard and the key actions, this is the reason why I got this particular brand it's known for the keyboard.  I don't need a monitor as big as it is, but at the same time if I'd got a smaller version then the keyboard would of been smaller as well.  The trade off doesn't work.  I want a full size keyboard, however, then if I got a full size keyboard it would never fit in a laptop bag.  It would be worse than lugging a kitchen sink around with me.  No bag would take it.  I'm now left with no choice but to put up with the thing for a few weeks.  Test drive it and see how I get on with it, otherwise it could be loaned out on a semi permanent basis.  Monster Boy and Layabout would certainly make use of it.  Then if they had their hands on it, it would never be the same again.  Laptops are personal to this extent.

I know, maybe I just need to hit the stationary shop and purchase another notepad.  I like paper pads with lines.  Coloured pens and highlighters never fail to create dilated pupils.  Like the Stones song goes, you don't always get what you want, but you get what you need.  I'll change my name to Mick and try a little shuffle dance in tight jeans.  No, better stick with the laptop at least it will not result in my thorax being squeezed like a a wasp's.

No comments: