Monday, June 04, 2012

The Jubilee Virus

This morning I had a nice walk, just over an hour.   It's a bank holiday weekend so it has to be used productively.  After promising myself to get fitter and seeing as I have a suspect knee cap walking and cycling seem the only options.  Before lunch I also had a 6 mile cycle, now I've had lunch I'm well and truly stuffed.  Like a turkey.  It's OK to say to someone just eat less and exercise more, but when you exercise you can't help but have a more voracious appetite.  So the eating less bit is difficult.  When out I popped into a shop to contemplate buying a newspaper, but then was greeted by the smiling face of Queenie.  I took another look to see if there was just one paper which did not have her face on the front, because if there was I would buy it.  Needless to say I walked out of the shop empty handed.  She's not my queen and never will be. 

It's said there are between 25 to 30 percent of people at any time who are anti-monarchy.  Which would suggest although it may be nice for some people to see the queen 24/7 on the news it's not proportionate to the whole of the viewing audience.  The BBC have well and truly let down a good proportion of the general public.  We are talking between 15 to 20 million people.  Which is not a number to be taken lightly.  Their coverage has been excessive and for those who have not liked watching it, it has been offensive.  Very offensive.  I've even tried spending hours looking out of the window and watching the rain fall, just to give me a break.  I've read books and then have put them down because I was tired of reading them.  There has to be a point of saturation and even for the royalists this surely should of been reached by now.  There can only be so much of royalty a person can take without going mentally insane.  Right now I guess the Health Service is preparing a lot of padded cells just for the new intake they will be having.  It'll be called the Jubilee virus.  Even though it's all mental health related, it has infected an enormous number of ordinarily reasonable and sane persons.  I now can't go out without bumping into someone who has either a pink hat on or a plastic union jack flag in their hand. 

If there's a God, don't give me strength, just keep me sane before the loons take over the UK.  As they say, the one sane man in the land of the insane will be king.  Then I'll be able to have my very own Jubilee.

No comments: