Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Walking a different direction

It has been a relief to return back to the Fish Factory today.  Remarkably I woke up early so went out for a morning walk.  Rather than walk the circuit anti clockwise I walked clockwise and it gave me a funny feeling.  It was odd.  Just as it is when you do something differently from how you'd normally do it.  Which I think is good.  Sometimes the cobwebs have to be dusted even if it means walking a different route a different direction.  We just get so used to doing things one way.  It's fresh.  Though I will admit there are many areas in my life where I don't try out new things or different things.  Mostly because I know what to expect so carry on doing them.  But we all should try change, even if it is a shock to the system, it's a learning experience. 

I enjoyed my own sandwiches at lunch time as well.  But it is becoming a bit of a habit making the same thing over and over.  This is something I'm going to have to change.  It takes time making sandwiches as well.  While I make them I eat my breakfast and listen to the radio.  Whereas prior to making my own sandwiches I would put my feet up and listen to the radio eating breakfast deliberately slow and enjoying the moment.  I'm sure the walking is increasing my appetite because I had to put on an extra slice of toast this morning.  Bread and toast seem to be a major part of my daily diet.  Brown, malted, granary bread.  It has a good taste to it and is good toasted.  Maybe I should get some baguettes and try them next time.  As we have been having a lot of rain recently I had to eat lunch indoors at the Fish Factory.  Then I went to the pub and had an exorbitantly priced cup of coffee.  It's the atmosphere there I like so it's what I pay for, even if I have disputed a number of times with different bar tenders what the correct prices are.  There seems to be such a turn around of staff many of them don't know what the correct prices are, until that is I dispute it and the manager gets involved.  I don't know where I will go for peace and quiet once the Olympics begins as this pub will be earmarked for the tourists, it's already listed in the literature.  I suppose at this point I'll have to try some other place.  One not so atmospheric.

I noticed on the news today how a water mains had burst and somehow managed to close down the Central Line.  There were ques of people at Stratford waiting to get buses.  If there's another burst water mains during the Olympic period public transport will be diabolical, especially considering normal commuters trying to get to their work or home.  There's something to be said for getting transport right.  Unfortunately the general opinion of Londoners is the Olympic Committee organisers have lost the plot.  Well they just will not be advised.  It's the usual command and control mentality of people at the top.  Then I suppose if the buses do stop it will give the general public and Olympic sight seers the chance to use their feet and walk.  Now there's an idea.  Little maps of East London for sale, giving all sorts of details on routes, buses and trains to get around.  I wonder if anyone else has thought of it.  Even better would be to become a taxi driver.  No.  I'm sure more people would purchase the maps, they'd get to see parts of London which can't be viewed from a train.  Depending what direction they walk of course.

No comments: