Thursday, June 14, 2012

Monkey Mind

This evening I have been chatting to Sparkling about Monkey Mind.  This happens when it is not possible to think straight because there are too many things on the mind.  If an individual were able to just consider one topic at a time then it would be with clarity and insight.  However, with Monkey Mind every little though encroaches on the mind.  It becomes very difficult to make a good valued judgement.  So either mistakes take place or nothing takes place because a state of bewilderment and dumb foundedness occurs.

I had Monkey Mind this afternoon.  I wanted to talk to Sparkling but could not get through to her when I rang.  She had been on  my mind and in my thoughts.  Yet she was not the only thing, there were others.  It was like my head was juggling a dozen different balls.  I know going for a walk can help, the walk must be a good one and then the gentle exercise has the effect of gradually physically tiring the body.  As the body tires it helps to clear the mind.  This didn't work.  An hour had passed and I was walking pretty vigorously, I knew all those wonderful brain chemicals would be kicking into play, but still I could not get out of my Monkey Mind state.  This phrase apparently was termed by Buddhists, if you're interested in knowing.  Anyway, I walked and walked but still the blooming Monkey kept jumping up and down and swinging from the vines of my neurons, from temporal lobe to parietal lobe, it was doing the rounds and enjoying itself.  Further because I'd been walking for some time I had now got to the point where I had to return home.  The walk wasn't doing it.  The odd thing was I really did have the will power to walk for anther hour, but decided I shouldn't.  My feet would of killed me and rebelled.  So I returned back to base camp still with a Monkey Mind.  Then I rang Sparkling and managed to actually get through to her.  The mind calmed down just a little bit.

There is no doubt only so much willpower a person can have and then it gives in to all kinds of things.  Monkeys being one of them.  We're just blooming lucky it wasn't elephants, I'm sure they'd be great dancers though.

No comments: