Saturday, June 02, 2012

What's the queen done for me?

The queen's (60th year) Jubilee begins today.  Lots of royalists will be out there with their little red, white and blue plastic flags,  waving them.  Especially the oldies and small children and small dogs which have been press ganged into looking the part.  But I ask what has the queen done for them and there's difficulty trying to name a thing.  Beside seeing her head on money, both paper and coins.  Then a lot of other people could easily have images of their head put on money and be justified.  Inventors for instance, great people who have achieved things and they don't have to be of national origin.  There are some famous people on paper money on the other side of notes.  When I see them I usually recognise their achievements, and if I don't it makes me curious as to what they did.  Were I less educated it would still make me curious who was on the note.  I'd go and look it up, awe at what they discovered or the wonderful things they had done.  When I see the queen though no such awe comes over me.

I ask the question over again in my mind, what has she done?  There are only so many times you can ask a question and still be searching for an answer.  When one doesn't come then there is fantasy.  Well she didn't design the sewage system, she doesn't dance with pixies, she hasn't actively created an organization which goes out of it's way to help people but she is the patron of many.  She has never served me in a shop or spoken to me.  Further, how could she actually be in contact with all those patronised organizations?  I don't know, simply she can't.   She doesn't wake up in the morning and make a random phone call to any of her subjects just to ask them how they are today and have a good old chin wag.  Whereas a would be queen who acted for the people but was never made queen would of been the late Dianna.  She went out and did what she could to stop the use of landmines.  OK she was odd in her way, but she did act morally and care about others than herself.  What has this queen actually done which has helped the life of either me or any member of my family i ask.  The reply is silent.  I've not seen her ever standing at a bus stop, discussing the politics of the day or passing pleasantries.  Unless she does talk to the pixies and it is a well kept secret.  For if we knew about it our notions of who and what she is would become even more skewed.

Charlies is known to talk to his plants, the Duke he talks to anything and has an eye for the ladies, he might be an old man but you can tell he would of been a philanderer given half a chance.  The little ones enjoy popularity, fashion and fame as if they are special.  Willy and Harry have acquired their own present day followers, Harry especially as he to seems to show a common touch with the people.  And the corgi's well.  I haven't seen them for a long time but am sure there are some on the scene somewhere.  Probably chasing the pixies down at the end of the Palace garden, where you'll quietly find queeny in thoughtful conversation, chastising the corgis for harassing her friends.  So what have they done for me and my kin?  Not much, I shake my head, not much at all.

No comments: