Tuesday, July 02, 2013

A walk and a ukulele help in stress busting

Sometimes peace and quiet is a necessity, especially when noise becomes and assault on the senses, and if it's not noise it's a place, other people, or a situation which is anathema. Like this evening.  I got back home after work and am greeted by the TV and some brain numbing, depressive, mind sapping soap was blaring out. An urge came over me to stick a foot through the telly, which meant I had to get out of the house. After a change as quick as Superman in a telephone box, coat was on, earphones plugged into phone and I was off. Like a greyhound, out of the trap and the bunny rabbit had just passed him. I needed badly to get away, and it felt bloody good. It's being in a stressful environment which does it. I believe the mind has to rest, the same happens when cooped up too long in a house and cabin fever gets to you. The need to get out of the house is as great as the need to escape a prison environment.  I got back to the house about an hour and twenty minutes later. Now I just feel tired. Walking is a good exercise, an underestimated exercise. It's exercise but at the same time it doesn't strain, but of course whatever route you take it has to be varied, up hills, down hills, over grass, it's got to give you something to see along the way and points which can mark milestones, without actually being real milestones. I guess it must of been just over two miles, taking into account the time, and the pace and some parts were slightly challenging.

As time is now late it means I've missed the opportunity to play Harvey (ukulele). Harvey also brings me relaxation even though I'm still learning to play him.  He rings out lovely sounds and I'm learning about music every time I pick him up. My teacher is You-tube, it's amazing what you can find on there. It's approaching 7 months since I've been practising and although I've missed out the odd day I do get to pick up Harvey for a few hours each week.  Presently I'm trying to get the hang of a few barre chords. These are chords where more than one string is held down by one finger. When using the finger tip to depress a single string it is as easy but even just doing two strings it can become more difficult. If not done just right plucking the string will make it sound dampened and it'll not ring out correctly. When a bunch of chords are played together in the right sequence you've suddenly got a little song going and it's marvellous. Singing and timing come next and they are a lot harder to do than I'd thought but I think there is a glimmer of hope even in this field. I'm sure there is.

In doing a search on you tube I came across a ukulele playing comedian. Listening to a couple of her songs I didn't particularly think they were that great, her playing the uke was OK but not great either and it has given me a thought about giving it a go. I don't think it can be too difficult throwing a few words together which would be funny, getting them to rhyme and sing along with a tune would be more difficult though.  So fifty percent is a good start. This may just be another outlet for me, one which brings together two things of interest.  I just hope they don't curdle. However if they do then I suppose Harvey could be useful in turning the TV off, even if he'd only get to do it once and with a little luck the TV might not make much sound afterwards as well.

No comments: