Friday, June 10, 2011

Another moan about youth and beauty at the gym

Sometimes I wonder if I am losing it.  Other times I am so certain and sure.  Perhaps it is some stage in life which gets to this point, or an intolerance of other people.  Or even the GOM (Grumpy Old Man) syndrome thing.  I have been trying to get control of it and build up some kind of discipline.  Such as going to the gym.

Yesterday I felt extra energetic, which must of been on account of having a couple of days breaks since my last visit.  I managed to run 24 minutes out of 30.  Which is something for a little fat man.  I so love watching the youngsters or beautiful people on treadmills.  Especially when they try out the machine next to me.  Only to find they are even more unhealthy than the fat man.  I'm more unhealthy than I have been for a long time, but these other people are a hell of a lot younger.  After ten minutes of exertion they usually stab at the stop button and get off the machine.  Doing their best not to pant too much or appear to have broken a sweat.  The men who like to see their muscles in the mirrors are the funniest of all.  Sometimes I wonder if they come to the gym just to see physics at work.  As light bounces off their bodies and reflects back at them.  They even carry out this behaviour in the changing room where there are a lot fewer mirrors.  If they could carry around a picture of themselves in their own wallets they couldn't be any happier.  Here is evidence of muscles and brawn not mixing.  The big men do tend to sweat though.  Maybe it adds something.  Besides the smell I don't know what it could be. I wonder, what has happened to youth?  Then try to forget it and think of better things so as to pass by more minutes as my little leggies bound the rotating belt.

Beauty they say is wasted on the young.  Or if "they" don't then someone wise did.  Some of them have a way of walking and talking.  It is like they need to mark themselves in this world, and by talking in a certain way or pretending they have a recovering crippling injury, limping and wearing an over large rimmed baseball cap they achieve it.  To me and probably to most other GOMs they look and sound ridiculous.  Their perception of the reality of the world is nothing short of a belief in Father Christmas.  Which probably makes a lot of sense because it wasn't so long ago they found out he didn't exist.  Oops hope I haven't let it out of the bag.  No, I'm sure not.  One of those very people I see could be the world's next greatest inventor.  Except not at their present age, state of mind and odd looking behaviour.  Then again as a GOM this does sound a tad over generous.

No comments: