Saturday, June 18, 2011

Making Ice Cream

I caught an episode of the wonderful Mr Jamie Oliver doing a 30 minute recipe, which was as always very informative and inspiring.  Then thought I'd have a go at making the ice cream.  It was one minute fruit ice cream, and so easy to do.  He advocated getting frozen summer fruit berries from the supermarket.  So I did.  Into which goes natural yogurt, runny honey and maybe a tad of mint.  This is all put in a food processor and of course Jamie being Jamie made it look so easy.  I had a little problem with the blender thing, because it had been in the cupboard for a long time and was Big Mommas.  I'd never used it before.  Oh, nearly forgot, I also bought plane chocolate which was melted in a Baine-Marie, which was the first time I used one.  It was not problem at all.   However, the summer fruits were more than a little tart, even with the honey and chocolate. 

The making it didn't take one minute maybe about ten.  Then it took an  hour to try and freeze the thing.  Then when I dished some up it was still half soft and not properly frozen enough, it was at this point I discovered how tart it tasted.  It could of been two hours and still tarty, but definitely frozen.  So it was summer berry ice cream with a tarty taste.  What I will say was, I went out of my way to get all of the basic cheap ingredients, the biggest cost was the runny honey.  Maybe it was the honey which wasn't sweet enough?  But as I had dribbled melted plain chocolate throughout the ice cream, kind of layering it. The taste was bearable.  But next time I'll think more along the lines of using sweeter fruit or even icing sugar.  Perhaps having a look for other recipes on ice cream making, for I am not completely convinced using natural yogurt is the way forward.  Could it have been missing some real cream I ask myself.  Probably.  Cycled four miles today so had partly balanced off the calorie intake.  Well you got to try.

No comments: