Monday, March 26, 2012

Pain of exercise and the challenge of a life evaluation

Since yesterday's run my body has been going through various degrees of pain.  Depending on the part.  This morning it was general all over pain, even my shoulders ached and I couldn't work out why.  It must something to do with the general running action, swinging arms, but they weren't swung too madly like I was some kind of demented idiot, they were swung in a cool calm slow fat man way.  As the day has worn on most parts of me have recovered.  Except for my thighs.  They are stiff and painful when I walk down stairs.  They were stiff and painful with any kind of walking.  Now it's just going down stairs.  I'm on the mend.  I hope.  Today was day two, so I did a little more exercise but this time gentler than yesterday.  I cycle ride with Monster Boy of about six miles maybe a little less.  Cycling wasn't difficult, I enjoyed it and he enjoyed it as well.  I exercised my legs he exercised his jaw by doing nothing but talk for the first forty minutes.  It was like he'd been locked up all day with no one to communicate with and now had been let loose on me.  I like his company and it's interesting to see how an eleven year old sees the world.

I am trying out the thirty day challenge, my personal challenge is a little bit of exercise each day and it doesn't have to be exhaustive.  Something is better than nothing.  This is how I am seeing it now.  I think I am having what Covey would call a paradigm shift.  (Stephen Covey author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People).  Which has been one of the many reading books I have been reading at the same time for a few months.  If I enjoy something I don't think it should be devoured in one sitting, literature wise, if only I ate this way as well then I'd be a bit slimmer than I am now.  Fat Lad is a name which could not of been applied to me at one time.  I'm on Covey's second habit.  Which is: begin with the end in mind.  It is a powerful concept and one I have been thinking about even before I started reading his book.  It will likely have additional impact on me when I go on holiday next week.  I'm off to Poland and Sparkling wants to see one of the Nazi death camps.  It's a historical and more.  I'm not entirely sure how to view it.  I've seen the documentaries on TV know what happened but sometime next week I'll be there.  Seeing things for yourself, experiencing places and events is also part of the nature of Lean management, although in a somewhat different context.  I don't know what to think of it.  It will be a time when watching TV or reading are synthetic in comparison.

Covey states there are three kinds of asset, human, financial and physical.  This is a good way to remember  asset but I'm sure it is a little crude.  An accountant could find numerous ways in which to describe the financial.  Even when the financial doesn't exist.  A bit like the UK's chancellor at the moment, juggling with money he doesn't have.  Physical speaks for itself, but the most interesting is of course the human where again in Lean management the human asset is the most important.  It is the human touch which will decide the success or failure of a business.  As individuals we decide our own success or failure our in own attitude to the world.  Should I say the coloured spectacles we decide to put on.  Which can be inherited by those people around us, family being a prime example.  Every family has it's own set of prisms, and realising you are seeing the world through an inherited set of view points which are maladaptive is a big step.  Changing them is the next step.  Easier said than done.  So the bottom line is, at this moment I find myself re-evaluating myself, I'm taking off those glasses and trying to find another prism to see things through, or hopefully one which obscures but in a different and more pleasant way.  One which makes me at peace with the world.  Maybe I'll go for the job of Dalia Lama when I see it next advertised.  I'm not sure if I can be a vegan though, but I do hear vegans are generally fitter and not as fat.  So there could be an advantage, then at least I wouldn't ache as much as I do now.

Tomorrow is day three, let the slim man inside come on out.

No comments: