Thursday, June 20, 2013

Gandolfini is dead

There was some sad news today, the actor James Gandolfini died of a heart attack while on holiday in Italy.  He played the primary character in the American TV series about gangsters called The Sopranos. I did watch a few episodes and must admit to liking the ones I saw. Gandolfini was loved as an actor and also because of the respect he gave everyone no matter what part they played, he treated all those he met with dignity. It will be a shame, but saying this he was a bit porky. Around the waist line so to speak.  I did see him recently in a musical called Romance and Cigarettes playing opposite Susan Saradon and Kate Winslett.  Which for a musical I liked as well. Especially when I normally consider watching musical stuff as gay.

Gandolfini was 51 years old. In the film I saw he smoked cigarettes profusely and died of cancer at the end. I guess he must of smoked in real life as well. He was overweight, and he obviously fell into the group of men who are likely to pop their clogs prematurely. I reflect on this prospect as 51 years is less than a stone's throw from my present age.  It makes me think I should be re-evaluating my lifestyle. Eating healthy, exercising more, losing weight, there's a good tyre round my own waist. I've finished a cup of tea and biting into a triple chocolate Swiss roll. For lunch it was beef in black bean sauce and ho fun. A very oily Chinese dish, but tasty. If I stand back and take a look at the set of cards I'm looking at, I'd be shaking my head and wondering if this fella was going to bluff it or fold, he could win or he could just drop dead. I know what I should do, but doing it is not so easy. Even though I have been out doing some kind of exercise three times this week, it's the eating bit which has to be tackled as well.

Sparkling Eyes reminds me she loves me and I should think of the future, think of Babyfro and Sparkling. Just as Sparkling has taken up the e-cigarette to quench her smoking habit. I should, I know I should. Gandolfini's death is now like the sword of Damocles. (Damn the sword).  Just waiting to be released. Oh well, there is one event none of us can escape from, and it's more a matter of how long we can stay alive. Or a matter of staying alive with your own marbles and knowing people you can get on with or haven't pissed off enough they don't talk to you any more. Knowing truly a lot of old people are shall I say engrossed in their own eccentricities.

I liked Gandolfini as an actor, I never got to meet him but the way he played his rolls, how he delivered himself on screen would suggest he'd of been an interesting person to talk to over lunch. Hell, I wouldn't want to talk to him while on the treadmill, he would of sweated and stank a bit, as all fat people do when they over exercise. Note to self, get some deodorant summer's on it's way.

No comments: