Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sparkling on my monitor, a malaise of IT and missing family

Sparkling Eyes has text me to say she missed me.  I miss her a lot as well, for me the worst pangs come about a week after seeing her, I end up hugging myself in bed. Like a security blanket, wishing Sparkling was there as well. A small way to over come this missing feeling has been through the odd chat on Skype. I get to see Sparkling and I just can't help myself, to see she is actually there in front of me on the monitor. Sparkling says every time I am on Skype I have a cheesy grin. I can't help myself and even have to give her a wave. Heck, I'm nearly fifty and I have to do this when on camera. It's like being on TV. I don't know why but I'm not sure if I actually like the Skype program, I am nearly convinced it was loading Skype which led to my laptop getting infected with pop over price comparison windows every five seconds when I was surfing. So I use it sparingly and because I really do miss Sparkling.

As I am a little behind with the IT crowd it has been difficult for me to adjust and understand this Skype thing.  I don't have WiFi either so the wifi I use is the free one from the pub.  Window's 7 is new to me and the operating system of my laptop, yet Windows 8 has recently come out.  My home PC is old, knackered and held together with cellotape. I've been running Windows XP off it for years and I love the responsiveness of XP which you just don't get with the 64 bit Professional Windows 7.  I'm convinced Microsoft brings out products which are in advance of the hardware needs. Windows 3.11 was a prime example, using a graphic interface and PCs at that time were suddenly very slow, whereas if they ran on DOS they were a lot faster. Sometimes going forward is actually a step backwards and it's better to wait a couple of years till the next version comes out. I was in a shop only earlier today and saw a tablet, I will admit to being impressed with it, so it may be time to think about one. It would certainly be a lot easier to carry about, but only if it works. I want functionality first.

I've finished today's practice on my ukulele. It was weird. Afterwards I felt like I wanted to strap the thing to my back, carry it about everywhere I go and use it at every opportunity I could. It wouldn't matter where. When I used to exercise I got a natural high, it's almost like this now with my ukulele. Harvey is holding his tuning pretty well and we are getting more and more attached.  But he is a substitute for Sparkling Eyes, Rock Chick, Babyfro, Dangerous and all my other extended family in Scotland. I miss you all very much.

No comments: