Monday, December 08, 2008

An elephant in my room

This morning UPS delivered a parcel to Sparkling Eyes. It was a little thing I'd ordered using the wonderful Internet. As a Chrimbo prezzy for Sparkling. The best thing I did though was to tell Sparkling it was going to come and make her promise not to open it. What a stroke of genius on my part. Shortly after UPS dropped the parcel off I had a text message from Sparkling. She said the parcel had arrived and it was enormous. It was like having an elephant in the room. Oh how wonderful I thought. And she wasn't allowed to open it up, yet I could tell how curious she is, I can see her now eyeing the parcel, and so wanting to open it. Touch it, feel it, shake it, smell it, anything which might give her a clue as to what it was. Mind she's got a pretty good idea it's an elephant, on account of it being so big. But the thing is she doesn't know what kind of elephant it is, whether it's Indian or African, whether it is yellow with pink spots or just plain purple with golden tinsel. Nope. Her curiosity is in overdrive right now. If I didn't know any better I could see Sparkling dancing from toe to toe just starring at it, the cogs in her head going round and round, the wondering, the curiosity. All of which is mounting up minute by minute as she guesses what is inside.

Poor Rock Chick has also been subject to the third degree. But the Rock is strong, she knows how to cope, fingers go straight in ears and she starts humming. Saying no matter what Sparkling does she will not crack under torture. Not for egg mayonnaise or Belgian chocolate the secret will not pass her lips. Awwe how brave of Rock Chick. I can only guess what she has to put up with this moment. But true to her word I know she will be.

Because it is so large Sparkling has requested Rock Chick open it up and then wrap it up in paper. I said OK, but can't help feeling a little dubious at this dastardly request. Sparkling noted it didn't matter whether I agreed or not she was going to tell Rock Chick to do this. Which may mean in the next day or few hours the secret doesn't last so long. The anonymous parcel may be uncloaked, awwwe. I sure hope Rock Chick is able to do this without Sparkling's interference, then I wonder, if the parcel is wrapped it makes it easier for Sparkling to tear just a small bit and get a peak at what is inside. Oh well, secrets of such elephantine proportions sometimes are found out before their time. But let me say this Sparkling, if you do get to peak I will be disappointed. With a little luck she may feel a pang of guilt and decide she wont look. Trunks crossed we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: