Saturday, December 13, 2008

Elephants, Dad's army and action man.


I've been partaking in a little experiment, it didn't involve taking drugs or being locked in a room to see how I react to electric shocks. I had to do very little. I just let the stubble on my face grow. This morning it was the fourth day, and unlike the perception a bearded man is better than a bearded lady, my facial hair was pretty soft. But obviously not as pretty as a bearded lady, though I think for some reason there are very few of them about. Unfortunately my newly acquired action man look was looking even more rugged and so it had to be removed. However, it was removed while listening to an old radio special of Dad's Army. It's amazing how serendipity acts in this way. The shave took longer than usual and the play seemed to drag on, but I must admit it was pretty funny.

Sparkling has not peaked at the elephant I am told. Well she's the one who told me. It is under the bed. I expect I'll have to do some wrapping up when I get up to see her. Now how do you wrap an elephant? Carefully. Sparkling is pretty excited over Chrimbo, because the family will be at her house. It will be fun, busy, crowded and a turkey festival. She asked me last night whether I knew how to cook a turkey. I'm not much experienced at turkey cooking I must admit. I once saw Mr Bean with a turkey on his head, but cooking, seems a whole new universe away. I am sure it will be fun. I actually like cooking with Sparkling, it's usually accompanied by a glass of wine a radio playing music and discussion. Once when cooking a languistine I pretended the languistine was alive and shoved it in her direction. I don't think I've ever seen Sparkling react so quickly in her life, a hand shot out and whacked me accross the face so hard my glasses ended up hanging off one ear. She apologised, but just couldn't help reacting like it. My face stung red hot but it was so funny. I couldn't stop laughing even with a red cheek.

Talking of an elephant reminds me of one of my favourite ditties. How do you eat an elephant? The answer is simply a little bit at a time. I was told this by a fellow student when I began doing tertiary studies many years ago. She was in turn had it passed on from her father who was a doctor. Though I don't know if he was an elephant doctor. This saying helped when I was revising. I'd break down each subject area and spend a period on it, have a rest and then get back to studying again. It was hard work. Took a lot of perseverance and self motivation. It's odd how I had forgotten this and is something I should not hide too far in the recessed cupboards of memory.

I think this year's turkey could very well be an elephant, especially to feed all the mouths at the Chrimbo lunch. I suppose a little alcohol will help it go down regardless of what the end product turns out like. I wonder if there is a recipie for turkey flavoured with some kind of alcohol. Better get checking the web.

No comments: