Thursday, November 18, 2010

A day of training and motivation from a turd

The other day I went on a training course, it's what they do with middle fishes, put them on courses so they learn how to handle all the little fishes the right way.  With care usually. Gone are the days of KITA (Kick them In The Arse), as once written by a consultant Fish Monger.  On the course were all middle fishes and I happened to be the only male one there.  Which is always worrying, being in the company of too much estrogen just isn't good and you have to be careful with what you say.  Everything and anything can be picked up on and then you're in trouble.  Anyway.  The course was on coaching, trying to get the little fishes to do things and get the most out of them while doing it.  I thought it was a little bit like counselling and actually enjoyed it, the trainer seemed to think coaching was developed from a sports background.  Though I'm not sure if it did, I'll have to consult one of my books or do some searching on the Internet.  I got another day's training the end of next week.  Anyway some time during the day I received a text message from L & B man.  I thought it was a bit unusual getting a message from him and had been expecting some kind of contact from Sparkling Eyes.  So I sat there just as the next part of the lesson was to begin and opened up the message.

I had to wait a moment because it wasn't a text message as I thought, rather it was a picture text message so the picture had to be loaded.  Hmmm I watched as the image slowly refreshed from the top down, something white, ceramic looking.  It loaded.  To tell the truth I wasn't sure at first what I was looking at.  It's was a bit like one of those mystery pictures they publish in the newspaper of just part of an object and you have to guess what the object is.  Alternatively it might of been my brain just was refusing to process what I was looking at.  Then as the moment of realisation hit me I quickly covered up the image on my phone in shock, fear and amusement all at the same time.  The text underneath said "I felt a lot better after that."  The picture was a big turd in a toilet.  I could feel the tension in my chest, I had breathed in deep and held the inhale, bloody hell it was big, and had the girl sitting next to me glanced it.  Not only this, how would I reply to the text seeing one hand was grasped over the face of the phone.  Was it obvious to other people?  The paranoia and a cold swet was present.  Fortunately I had pressed the reply button in time and so didn't have to stare at the picture.  It was horrifying.  My reply involved the use of profuse language even in my silent laughter.  Fleeting the thought arose whether I should tell the group.  No.  Thank heavens my sensible gene kicked in I would of been marked forever as the man who had a picture of a turd on his phone.  I know what women are like it's one of those things they don't forget.  The next lesson would of been uncomfortable I'm sure.

Anyway, the training session went well.  We practiced something called the GROW model while coaching.  Goal, Reality, Options and Wrap up. I did actually enjoy the session.  It's like we all need a chance to chat once in a while and this was a great opportunity to get on with it.  Using this structured approach helps and guides you in the conversation which follows. To the point I began to approach a feeling of motivation.  Yes, the elusive concept of motivation, the will to do something.  But of course it must be sustained, effective, self generated and goal directed.

Only problem was the text message and picture haunted my day.  It's surprising how when you can just get settled in, something comes along and knocks you off stride.  Sparkling also text me she learnt what had happened and  L & B man had forwarded on my reply.  She was sympathetic, I'll not go into the details any more I'm trying my best to forget the picture, but I must admit I did laugh. Sometimes even shit can make you laugh. Now if you can find motivation in the picture of a turd, it's possible to find it anywhere.

No comments: