Thursday, November 04, 2010

It's not the journey it's the getting there

I am now in Sparkling's land.  Yep up North.  This morning while in bed I thought how other people take it for granted when the person you love is only an arm's length away.  So I felt more than happy, glowing at the reality.  However, getting here turned out to be more than a problem I could of anticipated.

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. my stomach wasn't so good.  It was the beginning of some kind of cramp.  I lay there and just waited keeping warm and hoped it would just ease away.  It didn't.  The next two hours the pains were so bad I was folded up in two.  Running numerous time to the toilet, trying to make tea and eat toast, with the notion toast would calm me down.  Then after one more visit to the loo it was over.  The spasms, hot swets then shivers all disappeared.  However, now time was short.  I had not pre packed my ruck sack so just threw in some essentials, pants, socks, toothbrush those kinds of things.  It felt light.  I grabbed a  book to read which was stopped part way through.  The problem was now I was on a timer, I had to be out of the house before 8:00 a.m., because today of all days the London tube strike had began and my extra paid tube fare  on the ticket was going to be a waste.  There was no real choice.  I'd heard even on those lines which were working quite a few of the stations would be closed.  The radio advise my stop was closed. Bloody  Kings Cross.  Which meant the tube was not going to stop there, and my knowledge of London's roads and directions was a little shaky. 

I got on my first train with a good idea of how to get to Kings, opened up my diary which has a map of London and thought it didn't quite extend enough to show me Kings Cross.  What was my best choice in these circumstances I wondered.  All what was needed was confirmation I'd be walking in the right direction.  So I rang Sparkling.  She answered "hello"  it was a delayed sleepy hello, and now I felt guilty because I'd woken her up.  Sparkling loves her lay in bed and lately hasn't been getting many.  She would barely be stirring.  I asked her if she would help me and if I could ring in a half hour.  The train trudged on towards London.  Through a tunnel, and then my mobile was disconnected.  Out the other side and then  found there was a message.  Sparkling had tried  to ring me.  I rang her back.  Sparkles navigated through the excellent Google Map section, as I read out the streets from my own map.  She confirmed what I thought.  Great.  All I had to do now was a little walking.  I estimated an hour would do it.  Fortunately I'd had enough time.  Unfortunately I didn't make my own sandwiches or managed to pick up something from the fridge before I'd left.  About 8 hours later I was in Scotland and sitting in Sparkling's car while she chauffeured me back to the  ranch.

The train journey here was uneventful.  But the arrival was magnificent.  My belly, well what can I say, it's temperamental.  Overall I'm very happy and so I should be.  Sparkling told me about her deep dream she was having at the time I had woken her up.  We were in the middle of an argument and she was kicking me out of the house.  Blimey, I'm lucky she even picked up the phone to answer it, luckily she didn't dream me on the phone as well!

No comments: