Monday, March 14, 2011

Keep your trousers up

It was one of those days where I forgot an essential item of clothing and had to do the whole day without it.  The item was a belt, to hold my trousers up.  On my way into the Fish Factory I contemplated whether I should buy another belt but I've done this before.  Where I went to the shop picked one off the hanger bought it, put it on and then found I'd bought one which was two sizes too big for me.  Not to say I am inspired to get even fatter than I am.  When I got home I couldn't find the receipt so now it sits all on it's own in a draw with no waist to go round.  Consequently today the only thought which went through my mind was just to make do and keep pulling my trousers up if they felt like they were slipping.  At one point I wondered if they had slipped too much and I was now showing the top of my pants.  Fortunately I sit down most of the day and don't have to walk about so no one could see me pants, they were a new pair as well.  Mind, pants aren't the kind of thing you want to show people.  Even when they are on the washing line, you just hope they go quietly unnoticed.  Unless someone comes along stretches them around their waist and says "hey look at these biggies!"  Which has happened.  Not a particularly proud moment to say the least.

The past few months have been oddly timed.  Like a pair of trousers slipping.  No.  Just oddly timed.  It's always a matter of budgeting and timing.  Especially counting the Tuesdays between one pay day and the next.  It's like I been waiting for the 5 week month and I'm not sure whether I've had it or whether it will be this month.  the issue always is ensuring there is just enough finances in the account to work the extra week.  Talking about finances and waist lines.  I have just received a reminder for the Gym and the monthly charge has gone up.  It might only be a quid or two but it has now broken a psychological barrier.  It's not like I am hitting the gym 3 times a week.  Sometimes I don't go at all, like last week.  No wonder my trousers had no problem staying up.  So I have to consider cancelling membership.  Then I have two choices.  Join another cheaper gym, which there just happens to be quite close to the Fish Factory or exercise myself from home.  Jogging or maybe skipping.  I am sorely tempted by it.  In an era of austerity why should I keep on paying for the gym?  Especially as I'm not using it fully.  It doesn't make sense.  It's OK trying to stop my trousers falling down but I don't want to have to be buying more pairs because they have got even tighter and my girth has got even bigger.  Blimey, the things you have to do just to keep your trousers in place.

No comments: