Monday, March 07, 2011

Where did the day go? Turpitude, rusticate.and unctuous.

Sometimes days float by like clouds, high up in the sky.  Then the day is over and without realising it I wonder exactly what it was I did.  How did I get to this place here, sitting on my arse typing?  Last night I went to bed tired.  I slept, woke up a couple of times in the night but then drifted off again to sleep.  The morning arose earlier as the sun now wakes up a bit quicker to, light through the window told me it was time to stop savouring the warmth of bed.  I got up.  Did a full day shift at the Fish Factory, had a quick pint of Guinness in the pub and subsequently caught the train home.  A cup of tea, some biscuits, then some toast and more tea, a little bit of face book and now I'm here to this moment.  Reflecting.  Where did it go? 

At lunch I came across a word I wasn't sure of the meaning.  Now I'm into the habit of noting such words in my phone to look them up later.  I've actually got three words now.  Two I've already looked up and forgotten their meaning.  For clarity this word was "turpitude."   Meaning: wickedness, vice, vileness or  wrongdoing.  It was used in the description of a politician's actions, so is quite apt, you could say was used in a perfectly consistent manner, seeing as we all know this is a trait some politicians do hold.  I might forget the word tomorrow but for this moment I got a good idea of how to use it.  Now if I take this one thing as an entire learning experience for the day then the day hasn't been lost. Provided I can still remember it tomorrow.

Spending a moment I've now looked up the other words. One was "rusticate" meaning: :to go to the country or live in the country.  Whilst the last word is "unctuous" this means: characterized by excessive piousness or moralistic fervor, especially in an affected manner; excessively smooth, suave, or smug.  Odd.  It also sounds like something which could easily be used on a politician getting the world's attention and have an overwhelming sense of self importance.  It's pretty damning when you think about it.  But again it is pertinent and has a place in the world. Which is all really we can hope for.  Places in the world, and of course being loved.  Maybe words like this would feel better if they were hugged, or seeing as we can't actually hug the words then we should all hug a politician and then the words would be made redundant and so evicted from modern English.  The world would become a better place, or we would hope it did.  It's about time we had more lovable and hug-able politicians.  OK now go out into the world and see if you can find any.

No comments: