Saturday, September 01, 2007

Big Brother, it's a popularity contest

Last night I saw the final instalment of Big Brother 8, I think. The winner was the one who got the most votes, Brian. He was Black, exceedingly camp to the point I thought he was gay-but he wasn't and possessed an I.Q. similar to a close friend of Forrest Gump or indeed Forrest Gump. When he was asked what he'd do with the prize money Brian said he'd give it to his mum because he just didn't have an idea. She'd look after it. At times Brian was at times paranoid. But he is a nice bloke. I'm sure he got the gay vote, and because he possessed quite a large willy he probably got the vote from a lot of girls. Or other people who like men with big willies. Oddly in the compiled clips of Brian's best bits there were a number of scenes where he was running about naked. As a contest goes this is a popularity contest. I'd never want someone like Brian to do anything other than being a nice guy, but if he flew a jet and I was a passenger, I'd take up religion pretty quickly.

It is sad British society votes it's most favourite personality as someone who has no inclination of who Shakespeare was, what he did or what he means. In reality the voters are teenyboppers. Their role models are from a TV show with people who have no talent in the world, but can sit, eat, talk a lot of dribble and show the complete depth, breadth and odour of ignorance. They are immature and the contestants show varying degrees of similar immaturity. The stench of this ignorance is rife it seeps through the pores of anyone who has the unfortunate misshappence of catching an episode.

From first hand knowledge, it can be addictive. I have sat and been enthralled by it. Watched episode after episode, and then been disappointed at myself having participated. That I'd allowed myself to be drawn into the world of vacuous personalities with barely double digit I.Q.s. People who had one purpose in this stage of their life. To be rich, to be famous and to have done nothing for it. Not worked, not shown genius and barely showing enough talent to wash a dish. It's sad. Very sad. But we all grow up, eventually.

"...to thine own self be true..." It's from Hamlet, I like the Mel Gibson version.

I'm off to get an audition to BB9, I wonder if this banana costume will do the trick, I'll just sing 10 green bottles and juggle 2 lemons as well. I'm sure it will work. Damnn am I talented.

No comments: