Monday, February 21, 2011

Big Momma discovers she has Type 1 Diabetes

Today Big Momma found out she had Type 1 diabetes.  The doctors surgery had been chasing her up for a blood test for a few days, she kept putting it off because of the weather and not feeling too well.  Then the results came through and prompted today's phone call.  This she told me as I walked in the door.  So asked "which one is that, coz there's two types?" her response was "I don't know, but I got it.  The nurse was surprised."  To tell the truth it hasn't been a big surprise to me considering I hardly get a decent night's sleep unless I'm well and truly knocked out.  Big Momma is up about 5 times during the night to have a tinkle.  With a little luck this could mean my disturbed nights will come to an end as she no longer clumps out of bed, opens the world's loudest squeaky door and plants herself on the pan. 

The writing was on the wall.  I should be worried as well because I know it can be a hereditary thing.  Momma said I could eat the biscuits, I headed to the kitchen after taking my secret stash of chocolate covered biscuits upstairs.  Surprise, surprise.  There lay three different packets of cookies, chocolate, chocolate and hazelnut and I think a double chocolate.   I've concentrated on my own for the time being and now feel like I've overdosed, a little light headed, maybe even heart palpitations.  Thank heavens I go to the gym. I know I can endure the sudden strain on my metabolism.

I checked a couple of books on drugs and found a description of Type 1 diabetes.  Simply put it's the worse kind.  The one where you have to take an insulin injection for the rest of your life and monitor it on a constant basis.  I reprimanded Momma.  I know her afternoon pastime is a movie and a bar of chocolate.  She'll now have to attend a diabetes clinic and get lots of advise.  She didn't like the idea of giving up on her white bread. It's got a high GI index.  It's odd because she had to give a urine sample few months back, they said then she just had an infection.  How come the docs didn't notice anything else wrong is typical miss diagnosis.  I said she may make more friends, with those who have the same condition.  I intimated there was a diabetes stripa-gram.  It was a bloke who covered himself in sweet wrappers and would say to the girls "come on darling peel off a wrapper for something nice and sugary."  She laughed.  Considering Big Momma now lives for junk food this could mean the biggest change of her life is about to happen.  We'll see, but don't bet on it.  I can't see Cadbury's going bust any time soon.

No comments: