Friday, December 23, 2011

Chrimbo humbug

For some reason it does not feel like Chrimbo.  There is no snow, it is not cold enough and we're in a recession.  Personally I am a humbug man so weather or recession wouldn't matter, I'd still be a humbug man.  I wasn't always like this, and used to be one of those people who had a funny feeling around Chrimbo time.  Get overly emotional for peace to mankind, or should I say allkind, as saying mankind excludes women, Sparkling would kill me, so it's allkind, include women and soft cuddly animals as well.  Ok lets re-phrase and say every living animal because even crocodiles have feelings. I think.  Except crocks like to hide their feelings under their cool rugged skinned exterior.  Personally I don't get close to crocks to find out what their opinions are on the matter.   Except I believe they also have taken a humbug stance on Chrimbo.

Things are different though depending on how old you are.  Christmas is the highlight day for all children and as adults our highlight is seeing them happy.  It's like when I see Monster Boy, he brings me happiness as his personality shines through.  I told him a couple of weeks ago he had to get home quickly before it got dark because of the vampires and ghosts who like to eat up little boys.  I then forgot about this.  A few days ago he repeated what I'd said to him, and my response was along the lines of "what idiot said that to you?"  I deserved it when he reflected it back on me and said those wise words had come from my mouth.  Not much I could do there.  Just accepted it, I'd been outwitted by an eleven year old.  Which in a funny way made me happy as well.  Monster Boy is definitely looking forward to Chrimbo, I'm sure it's the presents bit which he likes most of all. There is a big enthusiasm to open up presents, there's not much of enthusiasm to tidy up afterwards, but that don't matter, as long as he is happy.  Odd how seeing others happiness reflects back. 

I'm sitting in Sparkling's house, having wrapped up a couple of presents for her.  I was kicked out of bed this morning when the man from Amazon turned up with a parcel.  I've been told this is mine.  I asked whether Sparkling wanted me to wrap it as well.  She was OK with this, but I decided not.  It just seemed odd I should wrap up my own present, a little like Mr Bean writing his own birthday card and then pretending to be surprised when he opens it.  However, Sparkles is working today and will be working a twelve hour shift on Chrimbo eve.  She is a hard worker and enjoys her job, but there is only so far she will go when one of her customers asked she work fourteen hours.  Which she will not. I'll hardly get a chance to see her tomorrow, but at least I'll be here and I'll be able to wish her a happy Chrimbo on Chrimbo day, humbug or no humbug this is something which will make me very happy. 

Merry Chrimbo to everybody.

No comments: