Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Go tell your service provider to shove it where the sun don't shine

This evening I have made the first real effort towards towards getting a different Internet connection.  However, before doing this I have to request a MAC code (Migration Authorisation Code) from my provider.  This motivation has come out of being shafted for an overpriced broadband line and not being given a discount because I had been a loyal customer.  So I thought to myself they can stuff their broadband where the sun doesn't shine.  Sod em.  Though they did give me a phone call about six months ago saying they would reduce the costs of my broadband for a few months if I agreed to a further 18 month contract.  Then they shafted me with an additional cost because now I was going to get a paper bill.  All because my original service provider had been eaten up by a bigger fish, may I add a bigger fish I just did not want to be with anyway.  May I also say the phone call originated from a person who lives in a developing country and not the UK either, I'm sure I wrote an earlier blog on it, where I took great delight in keeping them talking on the phone for at least twenty to thirty minutes.  I'm not saying they were in another country because they had a foreign accent, which she did, I'm saying it because I simply asked her and she said yes she was talking from India.  I considered I had done a great job for humankind in keeping someone chatting for longer than necessary and equally wasting their life.  It's normally OK for them to waste my life, so on that occasion I got some payback.  Oh how payback is sweet.  Except for now.  When my quest was to ask for a MAC code, because I felt like a dentist about to extract a wisdom tooth from the mouth of someone who had locked their jaw tight shut. 

In this instance the service provider was someone in the UK, well I'm guessing they were because they spoke English without any accent at all.  Which was the only pleasant factor.  After jumping through a hundred hurdles navigating the automated telephone system I got to talk to a female called Becky somewhere in this country..  I wondered to myself, how convenient the service provider had used a caller centre based here, where as previously it was India.  It obviously takes into account it's best to be understood when someone wants to break of a long term relationship and so they wanted the message to be clear.  Or rather lets say they wanted to not give out the MAC code and by using a sales representative who could understand or purposefully not understand what you say they might, just might be able to persuade me not to get this code.  In doing so they could linger on our relationship, in bliss while they made more and more money out of the poor unsuspecting sap.  Unfortunately for them I am not unsuspecting or a sap.  Becky, clearly was more interested in giving me a different broadband package, she said they had the cheapest service.  I said they don't.  She said it was because of the paper billing and I'd opted out of receiving telephone sales from them.  I'm bloody glad I did.  I replied sharp but politely I just wanted a MAC code.   She then went on and advised it would take 5 working days to get a MAC code to me and it would be posted out and emailed.  I then asked what address it would be emailed to and she gave me the original service provider one I got when first joining and have never used.  I then gave her the correct email address.  After which she digressed back into selling mode and tried her beset to get me hooked again.  I cut her off and repeated again I just wanted my MAC code and could I have it please.  She said there was some legal jargon she had to read out first but then before she started with the legal crap she again tried to sell me a new package.  Eventually I heard the legal jargon, realised she was not going to give me the code over the phone, abruptly thanked her in my stern-don't-mess-with-me voice and ended the call.  So now I sit twiddling my thumbs waiting.

I guess I will get a similar drawn out discussion when I next leave a provider.  What is it with Service Providers?  It's like they don't like to hear the word "no" and think they are smarter than your wallet.  Let me tell you something Service Providers of the world, wallets have got a hell of a lot more teeth on them so bloody watch it.  Of course you will notice I have not indicated who the Service Provider is on here.  I do not want to give them additional publicity, and after all they are really all the same.  They want one thing "your money!!!!"  That's what they want, your money.  So again I'll sit here waiting and in these five days I'll stew something bad, because when I eventually receive the MAC code I'll change provider double quick and cancel the direct debit.  As I'm no longer under any contract with them they certainly know what they can do then with their service.  Yes, shove it where the sun don't shine.

No comments: