Saturday, November 03, 2012

Addictions defined

It has come to dawn on me, there are certain habits I have, which are probably addictions.  The thing is, an addiction is usually considered to be something associated with drugs. In reality this would be a somewhat narrow definition.  For habits are a kind of addiction, and a habit which continues for a long period of time could partly be termed an addiction.  Using the term addiction comes down to the negative intonations of the word.  Some addictions are no doubt good, it's the ones which are bad the word is commonly used with.  For example, smoking as opposed to watching TV or reading books.  So the word addiction has to be defined.  It is a habit which is repeated over a sustained period of time and creates a dependency.  Whether this is physiologically, psychologically, sociologically or behaviourally.  Furthermore all all addictions have a behavioural element to them.

The first aspect of any addiction is realising it exists, the second is understanding whether it is bad or not.  There are insidious addictions when only moments of clarity bring knowledge they are real, for example, watching TV every evening.  Mine is getting addicted to soaps and hunting down films.  I'm also addicted to the news and politics but this addiction I believe is not as bad as the amount of time I spend on the others.  There was a time when I used to exercise several evenings during the week.  I was a member of a gym, but somewhere along the line doing exercise became a chore rather than fun or a necessity.  I got lazy and preferred the comfort of a seat, hot drink, and vegetating in front of the TV.  So, the third aspect of an addiction is whether it causes harm.  I like eating food which is not good for me.  Fried food, or food from cafes or restaurants. It's cholesterol packed and the chefs do not make it with love. Food made with love is expensive or rare nowadays and this effects everybody.  Looking around the high street there are more fatter unhealthier people than there ever has been.  It is a national crime.  A fourth, aspect of an addiction is it is usually difficult to stop.  There is an effort involved in stopping the addiction and at the same time there is a need, or internal motivation to continue the addiction which struggles against the notion to stop it.  The physiological needs are easily recognised as they are based on a chemical desire in the body.  Be this blood sugar levels or brain neurotransmitters screaming out to be satisfied, as in the satisfaction nicotine brings to a smoker.  This chemistry, creates a dependency, as in alcoholism and how the alcoholic copes in the world.  The obese person is just unable to stop themselves from devouring yet another slice of cake.  They may want to but the effort and conscious desire to not do so is exceedingly difficult.  Perhaps this is why when one addiction is actually stopped it is then replaced with another.  I wonder if the circus clown is addicted to making people laugh, or if bees are addicted to pollen.  Addiction to this extent becomes life.  It is something which defines the addicted.  I like colourful socks and try to wear a different pair every day, it is a harmless addiction and probably would not be difficult to stop.  But eating fried rice is even though I know I really have to stop it.

Knowing I have certain addictions then allows me choice in the matter.  I choose whether to continue doing them or not doing them.  Even if they are harmful, although I probably avoid learning the full extent of those harmful addictions because I am adverse to further eye opening.  This is the issue.  I have to throw myself my own life saver, it is all down to me.  There are of course conditions which I can employ to help myself through this, such as changing my environment as best I can.  But when other people put temptation in my way then my conscious mind has a fight to stop the habit from taking over again.  It is exhausting.  As Geothe said "everything is hard until it's easy."  Wise words but totally unhelpful.  What I need are practical tips and guidance.  Recognising something is no in itself going to change the situation.

So if I'm looking to give myself practical advice it will be, to start slowly with one particular thing.  One little thing which is achievable and likely to confirm my own will power in any situation exists.  Make it definitive.  I will stop eating biscuits.  This is the one thing I am now going to try and achieve over the next week.  I will also being a conscious effort to avoid sweets or reduce my sweet intake.  There.  Two things now to do, two things which are easily defined.  If one can be achieved then so can the other.   

No comments: