Sunday, November 04, 2012

Rain, rain and a good umbrella

It's been raining today, what more can I say.  Except not just simple showers, these were exceptional showers, buckets of rain, hard and relentless.  When I was in bed this morning I heard it outside.  Bed felt warm and comfortable, whereas outside was wet and cold.  It didn't faze me though, because I knew I was going to get out and have a walk no matter what the weather was like.  I was going to take my expensive umbrella.  The one which cost me nothing because I found it in a pub but I'd never pay the kind of money it would of cost had it come out of a shop. This umbrella is grey, not my choice in colour, but when there's a gift horse you don't worry about colour.  It is not one of those very large ones which can keep two people dry, but it is neither so small it only covers your head and shoulders.  It is a nice size, but it was also torrential outside and this would certainly be a good test to see if the thing was worth the money I didn't pay for it. Heavy.  The walk was a must, a desire an undisputed thing which was going to happen no matter how wet it would be.  I momentarily considered waiting just in case there was a pause, but only entertained the thought for a short moment, I needed to be outside walking.  Exercising.  It is Sunday after all, my designated exercise day.

So I headed out after breakfast and rather than do a two hour jaunt this one was to be just one hour.  Then think about it, one hour in torrential rain is some achievement.  I was putting some faith in this umbrella. Yesterday I had prepared an old pair of boots with a water repelling spray which I know works well.  There is no way my feet would of stayed dry without it.  It's not the materials it's the chemicals the materials are treated with which determines whether they are any good in wet conditions.  I knew the bottom of my jeans would get wet, but as long as they lasted out and the water didn't travel all the way up my legs.  Out the door I marched off.  Headphones in my phone to listen to the radio, nice umbrella, and treated boots.  The necessary accoutrements for an unseasonable Sunday walk.

It rained and it rained.  I listened to talk radio, the discussion was about how the present government were treating the police.  I heard how police officers generally retired in their early fifties, how hard they worked, how much they earned, normal time and overtime.  The radio broadcaster had little sympathy with them.  As the facts rolled out I could not help but feel aggrieved by the conditions they had against the may other ordinary working class citizens of the UK who would have to work into their late 60s to get a pension which would be no where as high as a policeman's or woman's.  I don't feel sorry for the police, they are yet another group of people on the gravy train of government workers who in their own way screw the system.  To retire at 52, the thought is anathema.  Who do they think they are?  It must be something to do with the blue uniform, or the notion they have authority and every Tom, Dick and Henrietta has to answer to them.  Especially when it always appears police stop and question the law abiding citizens.  Hell, they sure don't want to run into any criminals, there's good reason for always turning up late to an incident.  Collect the money and run, run hard at 52, that's for sure.  The government are gradually removing the same working conditions earlier generations of police officers use to enjoy.  It would seem quite rightly as well. Blue helmets, they must effect the brain in some way.  It gives them the untouchable sense.  Well they are not being untouched now.

The radio discussion gave me extra motivation to continue walking through the rain.  I walked up a hill and it was hard going.  My breath got heavy, I undid my coat a little even in the rain because I was getting so hot. Although cold and wet when moving about energetically a sweat can soon build up.  Fingers crossed this was going to burn a few calories and I was going to feel a little healthier for it. At one point a van passed me, it was a dark blue one with hire stickers all over it.  The driver didn't seem to care about aqua-plaining on a wet road as he put his foot down.  There was a mist spray all around the van, back and sides, but there was little traffic on the road in general. It wouldn't of taken much for the man in the van to have skidded and crashed or flipped it.  His speed and the road surface would of made the accident all the worse.  Maybe it is something which relates to blue.  Blue van, blue uniforms.  I'm putting two and two together when they don't go. On the way down another hill as I headed home the rain water caused torrents and ran fast and hard. Autumnal leaves were pushed to the edges of the flow.  It was a sight to behold as the rivers of rain flowed down.  It could of easily been videoed and put on YouTube, I'm sure people would of watched it.  Relaxing and amazing to see all at the same time.  I was seeing a thing of beauty where someone else would of just seen a stream of water and nothing else.  My conclusion was the exercise did it.  Endorphins were flooding my brain and making me happy, or it could of been the umbrella was working well and keeping me dry.  There is nothing like a good expensive umbrella, which is twice as good when it's free.

No comments: