Thursday, November 01, 2012

A subdued, short, pleasant, train ride

I popped in the pub to get a quick pint after work but it seemed the bar staff were more interested in something else other than serving customers.  After standing there for five minutes and having a short chat with someone I left.  If they can't be bothered to serve me then I can't be bothered to drink there. I'm not going to wait.  Next stop was the train station.

The indicator board showed my train was about to arrive in four short minutes.  There was enough time to walk through the gates and along the platform.  It would be an eight carriage train which meant I could walk further down the platform.  As it came in I checked the carriages expecting them to be crammed with commuters and hoped to see a spare seat here or there.  To my surprise it wasn't nearly as sardine like as it should of been.  I got on and easily found a seat.  Only two stops, just a few minutes.  I sat there and picked up a discarded newspaper.  The train trundled off.  In a few minutes it stopped at the first station.  Before coming to a rest I noticed something, or rather the lack of something.  It was noise, conversation, discussion, chit chat, even a lone voice speaking into a mobile phone.  Half full and not a murmur from anyone.  This was odd.  I'd been in a busy and noisy office all day long and suddenly even with people around there was little sound.  The train moved off again. I sat back and enjoyed the ride, comfortable with only the sounds of a travelling train.  All these people and none of them talking.  It seemed odd to me.  They were likely tired from work, or fed up and were just thinking of getting home.  I listened to the sound of no real sound at all. The train trundled on and very shortly it would be at my stop.  Each second now was a mini heaven; if only they could all be perpetuated for a couple of hours rather than a few seconds.

The train stopped and I got off. A short sweet and pleasant hop. 

No comments: