Thursday, November 22, 2012

Distracting into slumber

Well it's been a week in Sparkling's company and now I'm back in London again. Last night was difficult without Sparkling there to help me get off to sleep in the evening. It's a comfort kind of thing. Being able to reach out and touch, it's nice, warming and reassuring.  When I went to bed I knew if I wasn't careful it would be a sleepless night.  Brain working industriously away and not getting a wink at all.  Then I cast my mind back to the day before and thought of Sparkling.  Imagining I was in bed with her and she'd pushed me right to the edge of the precipice, the point where somehow I'd carefully perched my body so the danger of falling out of bed versus getting to sleep was satisfied. In this imagining my mind calmed itself and I was able to drop off into slumber without too many problems. Funny thing the head is. It gets a thought and it then has to be corralled into the right arena, so it does the right thing.  It's a little like having an arm wrestling match with your own hands.  Sometimes it works others it doesn't. Then today I hit the Fish Factory so I wouldn't have to think to much about missing Sparkles. It's about keeping occupied and distracting the mind from dwelling on sad things.  It just has to be nudged, cajoled, pushed, shoved, hoodwinked, into thinking about not thinking too much. It is an art form as such.

The method of self distraction can be used for all kinds of things I gather.  I've heard how people on diets would distract themselves they already had eaten or it certainly wasn't time to refuel. It's an art which magicians do on a regular basis, diverting attention from one place so the important slight of hand part can not be detected.  it is the thing which happens when something is forgotten.  Get involved in a puzzle then answer the telephone and you'll be lost in a distracting place where the answer to a certain clue has now completely gone from memory.

So it is, I distract my mind from being sad and thinking how much I miss the most beautiful woman in my life.  Sparkles, otherwise I'd have a problem getting to sleep.

No comments: